Offside 'near' the tackle...?

Steve70

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Red vs blue - open play.

Blue 7 gets tackled by red 6.

No ruck formed, ball is dropped by blue 7 and pings out of the tackle area backwards and to the side by 2 metres.

Red 4, who is in front of red 7, but down the line 3 metres, rushes over and picks up the ball.

is he offside?

And slightly different - blue 7 loses it forward in that tackle - arm out for advantage red. Red 4, again in front of red 7 but off to the side (he's in front because the red defensive line has rushed up to the tackle line and he's overstepped the tackle line and is watching the tackle) comes in and picks up the loose ball. Is he offside?

i think I made a boo boo yesterday as I played on thinking red 4 was never offside (I can't remember if he was retreating from a previous breakdown - but was onside at that breakdown, or if he'd simply ended up in front of the tackle line)

cheers

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
There is no offside line at a tackle. 2m is not considered 'close'. It is therefore open play for both situations. It would be the same if Blue off-loaded quickly directly to Red behind him.

You have not said that Red 6 played the ball, therefore Red 4 was not in front of his own team who last played the ball.

Play on.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
your first one - quite right play on
your second one - is exactly what everyone has been discussing from Aus v Scot ! If he is in front of his team mate's knock on, then if he plays the ball he is offside.

Steve70

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Tackler never played the ball and so red 4 not in front of his team mate who last played the ball.

Cheers..

(Crossref - slightly different scenario but thankfully less riding on the game I was reffing... Plus no one questioned it or threw anything at me... :hap:)

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
my bad, I misread your post.
SO Blue lost it forward, and a red player then picked it up. Yes, play on.

Steve70

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
my bad, I misread your post.
SO Blue lost it forward, and a red player then picked it up. Yes, play on.

How close to the tackle would it be considered close enough to require another red player to need to come from behind the tackler, rather than from the side as with a free ball?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
You started SEVEN threads with an unreadable font?

OP's font looks normal to me...Verdana.... same as your post

And you're a bit late... he started in SEVEN months ago

Last edited:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
How close to the tackle would it be considered close enough to require another red player to need to come from behind the tackler, rather than from the side as with a free ball?

The law doesn't define "Close", but it does define "Near". I would go with that.

[LAWS]Near: Within one metre.[/LAWS]

Steve70

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
You started SEVEN threads with an unreadable font?
Actually, a bit of truth in it all - yes, I started this one months ago. Yes, I started 7 last night when I got in from work as I'd been saving them up (actually, it's because I haven't had time during the season, playing on Saturday, coaching and refereeing on Sunday, working the rest of the time...), and yes they went in with dodgy font initially as I copied and pasted from another app... But I edited them..... Anyhoo.....

- - - Updated - - -

The law doesn't define "Close", but it does define "Near". I would go with that.

[LAWS]Near: Within one metre.[/LAWS]

Thanks