[Ruck] Offside

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
So, I've been looking at the offside section in the World Rugby website.

Law 10.11.b.

The video accompanying this Law. I don't see any offside players interfering. There's scope for the tackler not releasing poss back I can't see that. There's a jackler but he's on side and on his feet. There's the number 1o0on his way back, but I don't see him interfering with play. Can any one have a quick look at the WR website and tell me what I'm missing please.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
He's a "lazy runner". Interfeering with the ball being passed along the back line.

mcroker

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Agree it's not a great example... isn't the PK against Black 13, who looks like he is loitering and still in front of the back foot when the ball comes out?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
It also doesn't help that the lazy runner stuff was taken out of the Law book

timmad

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
The ABs are past masters at 'not being offside' - blockers, lazy running, etc. I was going to comment on this after the semi-final against England but then I noticed Itoje and his mates were doing the same things without sanction. Perhaps it's something else that's become accepted in Show-Biz rugby, like squint put-ins, approximately straight line-out throws, forward passes....

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Gotta be honest, I'd not seen AB 13 until it was mention, Nigel (I think it's him anyway), doesn't seem to be looking that way. He seems to be looking at the breakdown. I also think AB13 might've been just onside (tough to tell from this angle), although I'm open to this being the offence as he does seem to be the most likely as the furthest forward defender.
I'm not so sure about the lazy runner stopping the ball being played, it's never in a position to be played. It pops out the side within a sec pretty much. Not sure if that would count as lazy running, even at the highest level.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
It's a line run deliberately. Ity may not be material. That's not the point of the video. The point is to show the offence. Considerations of material effect are second to asking is there an offence.

Thought line (very simplified):

Is there an offence

Is it material / can I play advantage.

Do I need to speak to the player / sanction.