Only an 8 week ban

JDET

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
I see from todays Telegraph that Burger has only recieved an 8 week ban. I have used the word 'only' because I remember other cases i e Dylan Hartley who got a 6 month suspension. From what I have seen from the replays there is no doudt this has to be one of the worst, and has not done our sport or SA Rugby any good.
Is there not a structure when it comes to awarding punishment, or is it down to the disciplinary panel to make up ther own punishment?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Appendix 1 to IRB Regulation 17:-

10.4(k) Contact with Eyes or
the Eye Area
LE – 12 weeks
MR – 18 weeks
TE – 24+ weeks

LE = Lower End
MR = Mid Range
TE = Top end
8 weeks implies they found mitigating circumstances. I hope they publish the report, since I cannot imagine what they were.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I see from todays Telegraph that Burger has only recieved an 8 week ban. I have used the word 'only' because I remember other cases i e Dylan Hartley who got a 6 month suspension. From what I have seen from the replays there is no doudt this has to be one of the worst, and has not done our sport or SA Rugby any good.
Is there not a structure when it comes to awarding punishment, or is it down to the disciplinary panel to make up ther own punishment?

JDET, what did you make of Sheridan punching an opponent in the testicles in the 61st minute? How many weeks for that, do you think?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
JDET, what did you make of Sheridan punching an opponent in the testicles in the 61st minute? How many weeks for that, do you think?
Does that have any relevance to a totally separate incident and a different offence?

Are you seriously trying to argue that people should not be surprised at the 8 weeks?
I await details of the mitigating circumstances with interest.

JDET

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
I didn't see it(Cider is a great diuretic). There is no room in this game for foul play. A punch is a punch and equals a red no ifs no buts.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Does that have any relevance to a totally separate incident and a different offence?

There seems to be a preoccupation with offences against the Lions as opposed to offences by the Lions on this website. Funny, eh?

Staybound

Referees in England
Post Likes
There seems to be a preoccupation with offences against the Lions as opposed to offences by the Lions on this website. Funny, eh?

I suspect that the response to this issue is determined somewhat by the composition of the posters to this site.

Sticking strictly to the terms of the thread, I'm suprised and disappointed that Burger wasn't banned for longer. I'd like to believe that view isn't coloured by the hemisphere I live in but more motivated by my disgust for the offence and puzzlement as to why the sanction doesn't appear to conform to IRB guideliens. As to the Sheridan punch - from the video that looked like a cheap shot as well although not in the same ballpark (pardon the pun!) as the gouge. I guess he wasn't cited so not much to say about his sanction.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I suspect that the response to this issue is determined somewhat by the composition of the posters to this site.

I think you're correct but a sad indictment on what is supposed to be a referee's (ie unbiased) website.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Dickie, there's nothing stopping you actually posting a thread on this forum moaning about Sheridan's actions. You may find it interesting that SA have not cited Sheridan for this alleged punch (I didn't notice it during the match, though there was an incident when Sheridan was squaring up to Botha when I thought he was treading a dangerous line - was that it?). Whatever may be your reasons for not starting a thread, or PdV's for not citing the action (as he seems to think that eye gouging is all part of the game, so perhaps he's no problems with punching to the goolies either?), the thread is about the sanction given to the guy who WAS cited, and WAS found guilty of the alleged act. As the sanction in no way affects Northern Hemisphere teams (but rather the Aussies and NZ during the tri-nations), your whinge seems pretty odd.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
My whinge is not related to upcoming tri-nations & I'm disappointed that you'd think it odd that I comment on incidents irrespective of their effect on upcoming matches.

I'm trying to prick the consciences of the holier-than-thou brigade who selectively choose which acts of foul play are worthy of their attention.

I can but try :love:

JDET

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
I'm trying to prick the consciences of the holier-than-thou brigade who selectively choose which acts of foul play are worthy of their attention.

Dickie I have never in my life been accused of being holy. I am not bias towards northern or southern(I spent my early years in Australia). I started this thread because of the severity of the infringment and only an 8 week ban. I can assure you if it was a lions player then I would be writing exactly the same. And yes I do believe the penalty against O'Gara was justified (As I have had to explain to a number people):)

Staybound

Referees in England
Post Likes
My whinge is not related to upcoming tri-nations & I'm disappointed that you'd think it odd that I comment on incidents irrespective of their effect on upcoming matches.

I can but try :love:

I guess most of us up in this hemisphere (one of the top 2 hemispheres on earth) had out whistles neatly packed into their tissue paper filled marquetry boxes and were watching the game as fans. I for one was shouting "you've got to let him get up" and "two movements ref" as loud as I could whenever I thought the Safas were cheating (80 mins plus stoppages).

barker14610

Referees in America
Post Likes
I have no bias at all. I am just happy to be watchinh such exciting games. My question is as someone who will probably sit on our local disciplinary board eventually. Is an eye gouge worse than a punch to jewels because of the damage potential? While one hurts, you will probably recover very quickly. The other can lead to permanent damage. I'm seeking opinions here. The other thing I think is that if you injure a player because of foul play, your suspension should be twice his time missed due to injury. That would be a deterent. I am always amazed in any sport when the offender is back in play before the injured player.

Staybound

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think the eyeballs are more important than their mates downstairs. I'm no medic but I have taken a few blows to the nads over the years (large target you see:wink: ). No need to elaborate how unpleasant that is but they seem to be operating pretty well (3 kids - all mine - poor them). I'm probably more sensitive than most about the eyes since an eye injury (not rugby) has made it inadviseable for me to carry on playing. The point is that serious permanent damage to the eye is much easier to achieve. If one's eyesight become sufficiently poor through injury it only leaves refereeing as an alternative:eek: .

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
The reality is that two South Africans got cited and banned, and no Lions. You are apparently trying to argue that the Lions were just a bad as the Boks. I think the target is more in your mind than on this board.

If you think an individual is being sanctoimonious, then by all means respond, but a general smear smacks of stirring for the sake of it.

JDET

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
According to PdV, if you don't want to be gouged you should take up dancing! it's the same as tackling according to him, what a nutter!:wow:

If that is the thoughts of the SA national Coach then surely something must be said.

What next speartackles are acceptable:sad: