Open letter to Gerald Davies, Lions Chairman

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
A very interesting "open letter" to Gerald Davies in his capacity as Chairman of the Lions Committee below:

Raises the argument that the Lions has lost the "romance" that it once had.

http://www.therugbysite.com/blog_po...9538191838&utm_source=email&utm_term=Read now

Different era, different ethos, you can't turn back time. GD can only play the cards he's dealt, & the issues alluded to in the article have no single fix, & history is littered with hypocritic actions & views.

My general concern is the Somatotype of Islanders, who are gradually populating the forwards positions in many european clubs , which when multiplied by financial & educational migration & IRB eligibility rules is seeing prostitution of nationality ................ cast your mind ahead 30 years .................. What will national squads look like ?

1] Fa'lipalu
2] tipiupu
3] vilipa'au'au
4] token tall bloke
5] etc
etc

I don't blame Tuilagi or his advisors, he's still a young lad, but even his decision to play for England not Samoa was clearly influenced by his families business interests in England [June 2013 rugby world magazine] .... "They [the family] knew that playing for England could create all kinds of positive opportunities for the family" ............

The Lions will exist in modern rugby, because the commercial earnings are vast, but even if you select King Canute as Chairman he'd fail to reverse the tide.

It would take a visionary leader, with unbelievable political support to change any of this ........ but then again, would they be welcomed ?

Last edited:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
It's long on fervour and short on facts and analysis. Who should replace who in the touring party? And should that be in the name of "romance" or "being fair to Scotland"?

It is easy to cherry-pick golden memories but what does that prove? That you forget the bad bits?

Has the game changed in the professional era? Of course. Is it the Lions job to attempt the impossible and turn back the clock? Of course not. The Lions players have changed too.

It was probably meant to be inspiring, but I found it depressing.

PS Nice typo at the end: "this Loins squad"
PPS It's "quod erat demonstrandum"
PPPS I am quite happy to use "who" instead of "whom" most of the time.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
My general concern is the Somatotype of Islanders, who are gradually populating the forwards positions in many european clubs , which when multiplied by financial & educational migration & IRB eligibility rules is seeing prostitution of nationality ................ cast your mind ahead 30 years .................. What will national squads look like ?

1] Fa'lipalu
2] tipiupu
3] vilipa'au'au
4] token tall bloke
5] etc
etc

Damned straight. Next thing they'll be letting Jews into the country club then where will we be?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
They'll have to get the blacks to kick the jews out then?

didds

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
I disagree with the letter. Lions is about a proper tour, and about results.

Fancy "throw the ball about" rugby and not care about the result is what the Baabaas are about - and Super Rugby :biggrin:

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Damned straight. Next thing they'll be letting Jews into the country club then where will we be?

Naughty Dickie, very! & far away from my point.

1/9/2043 "No point carrying on with rugby young man, all the front row positions in world rugby are occupied by men who are superior to you in genetic construction - so you might as well give up now! , ps...don't blame me, it was the IRB who reduced all national eligibility rules to a sham years ago"

It became so bad, that National unions were actively involved in en£i€ing talented u16-u20 players away from their home country so that by the time they'd matured they qualified to play for a new country on residency grounds!

It was only evolution that led us to the current position where we don't have national qualification restrictions, players are able to jet off & play for whichever union pays them the most, OilSheiksunited RFC are now the world champions for the 5th consecutive season & good luck to them, it is after all level oil field ! [ps, watch out for AppleSoftShellHSBC Rfc & ChinaindustriesRFC, they are rising forces ]

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Global Corporates are probably going to replace nations as the sovereign powers anyway.

Most of the big corporates already have GDP (ie turnover) greater than many sovereign nations.

Sovereignty has always been about one's ability to enforce one's will on others, along with persuading them that you are the better devil than the others - and that if they try to support the other devil you will get them first.

As Mao said - "political power comes out of the barrel of a gun" - and money can buy many guns.

Depressed myself now.