Ospreys Fined & Lee Byrne Banned

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I am surprised by the ban, but I can see the sense. Players cannot in future argue "they told me to", since it is now clearly their responsibility to make sure they have been signalled back on ie check with the 4th official.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
However, the committee found that the breach had not been deliberate or premeditated on the part of the club's management and that there had been no material effect on the match.

Though that statement is a bit strange, and smacks of a desire to avoidthe issue.

Tigers launched 2 attacks whe Ospreys had an extra man in defense, how can that not be material? If that were the case then a YC is surely a pointless sanction?

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
was there an englishman on the panel perchance?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
and yet the player gets a ban....

... because he should know that he can only go on when told so by the 4th official. This puts the onus squarely on the player to do things properly, whoever is shouting at him. He can point at this decision in his defence.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I would like to ask a question...

What was Byrne doing off under the "blood replacement" protocol, when it was his toe that had been damaged?

They would not have been able to see the blood until his boot was removed.

I thought the "blood" rule was to prevent blood from one player coming into contact with another player (because of HIV risk)

Jenko

Referees in England
Post Likes
Though that statement is a bit strange, and smacks of a desire to avoidthe issue.

Tigers launched 2 attacks whe Ospreys had an extra man in defense, how can that not be material? If that were the case then a YC is surely a pointless sanction?

They launched several when Byrne was down injured and couldn't score so I guess the argument would be they couldn't against 14 or 15! :biggrin:

Jenko

Referees in England
Post Likes
I would like to ask a question...

What was Byrne doing off under the "blood replacement" protocol, when it was his toe that had been damaged?

They would not have been able to see the blood until his boot was removed.

I thought the "blood" rule was to prevent blood from one player coming into contact with another player (because of HIV risk)

The boot was removed on the field of play to investigate and there was bleeding. The law states, I believe,
(a) When a player leaves the field to have bleeding controlled and/or have an open wound
covered, that player may be temporarily replaced. If the player who has been temporarily
replaced does not return to the field of play within 15 minutes (actual time) of leaving the
playing area, the replacement becomes permanent and the replaced player must not return
to the field of play.

Doesn't say where the bleeding has to be!

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
The TV cameras showed a red stain on his sock, the referee looked at it and agreed it was a blood injury.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
.... fine with the former shocked with the latter. What say you?
He's appealing apparently. See HERE.

The only problem I have with it, is that the 2 match ban will affect the Welsh national side as much as the Ospreys. :(

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
ask Leicester how they felt about Moody and Tuilagi a few years ago - probably the ultimate kick in the teeth in terms of bans.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
The TV cameras showed a red stain on his sock, the referee looked at it and agreed it was a blood injury.
Is there a simple chemical test for joke shoppery?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Is there a simple chemical test for joke shoppery?

Perhaps not, but there are plenty of simple chemical tests for blood;

Tetramethylbenzidine turns blue-green

Leucomalachite green turns green

Phenolphthalein turns dark pink

Plus, if you watch enough CSI, you must realise that the famous "Luminol" (which is not used as widely as Jerry Bruckheimer would have you believe) turns bright pink. In fact Fluorescein is more commonly used by CST's than Luminol, as it does a much better job of revealing bloodstains that have been cleaned up with bleaches. However, the dark yellowish colour is not as effective on TV as the pretty pink, so they use Luminol instead,

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
he's not banned any more :mad:

Greg Collins

Referees in England
Post Likes
he's not banned any more :D

FTFY

Now we won't have to listen to the Taffs moanin' about how they woz robbed cos LeBurn was banned. Though plenty are complaining about ha'penny, ian evans and that nice orange mr church not being about.

scrumpox2

Referees in England
Post Likes
We don't need Evans or Tango, Halfpenny is class as is Byrne ... Gethin's out though, any team in the world would miss him. I'm not a fan of crabby Cooper either ... he won't pressurise the opposition like Spikey Mikey can.

Dunno which Welsh team will turn up though ... the one that's beaten the Saes in the last 3 6N games, or the ones that so often capitulated embarrassingly at HQ for 20 years prior to Balshaw, Sheriden, Jonny and co's fumbling errors in 2008.

My money's on an error-strewn start to the 6N campaign, either side would just take a win, however it happens.

Jenko

Referees in England
Post Likes
We don't need Evans or Tango, Halfpenny is class as is Byrne ... Gethin's out though, any team in the world would miss him. I'm not a fan of crabby Cooper either ... he won't pressurise the opposition like Spikey Mikey can.

Dunno which Welsh team will turn up though ... the one that's beaten the Saes in the last 3 6N games, or the ones that so often capitulated embarrassingly at HQ for 20 years prior to Balshaw, Sheriden, Jonny and co's fumbling errors in 2008.

My money's on an error-strewn start to the 6N campaign, either side would just take a win, however it happens.

If I've got to sit next to you on Saturday can you cheer up a bit!!:)

scrumpox2

Referees in England
Post Likes
If I've got to sit next to you on Saturday can you cheer up a bit!!:)
My optimism goggles don't work until I've had the third pint ... I'll begin to cheer up tomorrow afternoon when we've done a few Calon Lans and Sospans :D