Out of Ruck

the magpie

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
In a senior trial last month, red player tackles blue. Red player gets back to his feet and engages with blue player coming in. Red player drives the blue player back over the tackled player. While still in contact with blue player, red player picks up the ball. I blow penalty for picking up the ball in the ruck.

The red player protested that he had driven over the tackle and there was no ruck, while I pointed out that he was still in contact with the blue player over the ball, which is the definition of a ruck.

Was I right to award a penalty here?

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
incorrect - he was on his feet :wink: :biggrin:

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
Dave - I'm sure you jest...

I think you were probably right.

If you look at the requirements for a ruck (2 players over the ball, on their feet in contact and contesting for the ball) then you have that, so in effect the ruck may have been over, but a new one was formed.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
If he can pick the ball up while he is contact with and driving against an opponent then it pretty much has to be a ruck.

If it's a ruck he can't pick it up.

Good call.

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
If the red player had driven past the BALL then the ruck was over, if he had only driven past the tackled player (but the ball was still within the feet of the two contesting players) then the ruck is still in progress :bday:

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
If the red player had driven past the BALL such a short way that he could actually pick the ball up,then the ruck was not over, as they were still in contact above the ball. If he had only driven past the tackled player (but the ball was still within the feet of the two contesting players) then the ruck is still in progress :bday:
Fixed that for you - YMMV:) .

OB, surely you can recognise Andyscott messing with people's mind by now? Bad form when in the early stages of a discussion and the OP has yet to get his answer; but then, he's young and ill-disciplined. He'll grow out of it. :wait: But what on Earth was Dave Clark doing feeding him the line? Why didn't the other Four hold him back? :)

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
i'm merely a club member now. as such i consider it my duty to make things as difficult as possible for you uppity society lot :wink:

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
Fixed that for you - YMMV:) .

OB, surely you can recognise Andyscott messing with people's mind by now? Bad form when in the early stages of a discussion and the OP has yet to get his answer; but then, he's young and ill-disciplined. He'll grow out of it. :wait: But what on Earth was Dave Clark doing feeding him the line? Why didn't the other Four hold him back? :)

I was more concerned that he let him up and they were all onside from a charge down :D :D

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
OB, surely you can recognise Andyscott messing with people's mind by now? Bad form

That was why I made the point. I dislike such in-jokes that could well be taken seriously by occasional visitors. This "joke" has long lost any humour it might once have had.