Over zealous coaches.

fatscally

Post Likes
Last Saturday during a game of League I had a right mouthy coach trancing up and down the sideline heckling away non stop. It eventually got to the point at about 60 mins that he antagonised the other team and was on the pitch getting into handbags with the opposition.

How do you deal with that?

I'm thinking in hindsight;
  1. Penalize his team for dissent to get him to shut up (since he's part of the team).
  2. Penalize his team for 14 men on the pitch since he got involved with the play.

Can I get away with that or is there a better solution?

Ray.

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
Stop play at some point before he completely blows his top. Get touchline manager (they do have one of those, right? If not, you can report that as well...) to make him CTFD. If no touchline manager, tell the captain, or another coach, or a helpful other player; try not to directly confront the idiot if at all possible.

If he doesn't CTFD, he leaves. If at any point, with or without previous, he starts something, or gets unhelpfully involved with something that someone else started, he leaves. If he doesn't, you leave.

In any case, report everything to whoever wants that sort of thing reported to; someone at your society should be able to help with that and how formal the report needs to be.

fatscally

Post Likes
If I leave then doesn't that screw everyone else over some idiot?

No touch line managers or anything like that just lil ol' me.

Ya see it's very hard for us here in Ireland with RL as it's a developing sport struggling to find it's feet at this point. We don't have a lot of teeth. (feels like) Still though there's no excuse for putting up with abuse from clowns.

TNT88

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
The more you ref, the better you get at stopping this behavior well before it gets to that point.

For example, next time you have this team, stop the game as soon as you see him step out of the coaches box. Warn him once, that if he steps outside again you will evict him from the field.

That should be the end of it, but if he doesn't comply simply stop the game again. Say you wont start the game until he leaves the playing area to go and stand in the crowd.

That really really should be the end of it. But if it's not, stop the game again and say you wont start until he leaves the entire complex. By this time you can imagine he will get knocked out by someone in the crowd if he doesn't leave.

But don't worry about the last two steps I outlined above, they will probably never happen to you. Don't think of it as "ruining the game for everyone else". What ruins the game for everyone involved is having these morons behaving like animals week in week out. You will probably get thank you emails from everyone else in the league if you ever do send him home. People like that are always serial offenders. And it's because too many referees and club managers let them get away with it.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
you have to be 100% prepared to leave if it comes to it.

.. but time and again on these boards: what happens is the idiot finds he does not have the support of the crowd/coaches/players and actually he leaves.

fatscally

Post Likes
Super stuff lads.
I'll take that on board. I'm also thinking of setting it straight with him before the kick off.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Good afdvice above

BUT - for clarity - You cannot penalise the team on the pitch for what their coach says. The Law only provides penalties for things the players do.

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
Ya see it's very hard for us here in Ireland with RL as it's a developing sport struggling to find it's feet at this point. We don't have a lot of teeth. (feels like) Still though there's no excuse for putting up with abuse from clowns.

No point in trying to establish it unless it's done properly, and that includes not letting the local nutters turn it into the sport you go to when all the rest kick you out.

dickell

Post Likes
Good afdvice above

BUT - for clarity - You cannot penalise the team on the pitch for what their coach says. The Law only provides penalties for things the players do.

Absolutely correct Davet, but I did it once decades ago knowing it was wrong to shut up a coach in my first year as a club ref (before going society). Worked a treat!

Na Madrai

Referees in England
Post Likes
Good afdvice above

Interested to read this, Davet.

Season afore last, I was running the line in a senior cup semi-final refereed by a then level six - now at group level. I marked ten at a penalty, and white players had not retreated when the kick was quickly taken. I stood with my flag out, referee glanced over and waved play on. I brought my flag down.
Black player was tackled, ball was hacked on thirty yards or so before going into touch on the far side of the field.
Black coach, on my side of the field went off his head at me, because defenders were not ten at the penalty and, because I had seen it and indicated, I should have kept my flag out! This was the gest of his comments but they were liberally sprinkled with swear words until he finished up with '...if you are going to cheat like this, if I cannot change you I will put you in hospital.'
I immediately indicated and t'other AR informed the referee before the LO could take place. He trotted over from far side and I reported the incident. Without hesitation, coach was sent from the playing enclosure and match recommenced with a PK fifteen in from where I stood thus he penalised the team and brought play back thirty yards or so for antics of their coach.
Coach had plenty of previous and was subsequently banned from his club for twelve months - his team went on to win the cup!

NM

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Referee was wrong to restart with a PK - scrum is the option for a stoppage not otherwise covered in Law.

Far less satisfying, but then personal satisfaction is not the issue.

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
Good afdvice above

Is this the case with League?, several other sports I can think of do penalise the team for a coaches actions.

I know it is not the case with union since the redefining of Foul Play in 2009 to "players" instead of "anyone".

Currently in union, however, a ref could not give that team permission to leave the field at half , not permit coach on the field at half, and still be within law.

My commentary below is not response to DaveT as above:

I always found yelling back at coach to be effective, honestly. Turn the tables, I say. Offer them the whistle, tell them they couldn't make it across the park, tell them your lawbook is in your bag and tell them the law to look up. Of course, this is the states, no-one has your back and rarely are you assessed or coached. What is the coach going to do? report you, ha, they need you as a scapegoat.

Na Madrai

Referees in England
Post Likes
AR flagging for not ten?

At the time, an AR would mark ten by holding his flag out pointing across the FOP. Only when the last defender had retreated would the flag be lowered. Thus, at a glance, the referee could see whether or not the team were all back ten and make his decision. Now, the standard practice is an outstretched arm until all players are back ten or the AR is sure that the referee has seen and chosen to ignore the signal.

Probably just our Society, but it seems to work as it is easy for referees, players, spectators and coaches to see.

NM

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
At the time, an AR would mark ten by holding his flag out pointing across the FOP. Only when the last defender had retreated would the flag be lowered. Thus, at a glance, the referee could see whether or not the team were all back ten and make his decision. Now, the standard practice is an outstretched arm until all players are back ten or the AR is sure that the referee has seen and chosen to ignore the signal.

Probably just our Society, but it seems to work as it is easy for referees, players, spectators and coaches to see.

NM

that's the problem. pretty much hangs the ref....