Overall thoughts on this years 6 nations officials

chief

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Well another year of Six Nations done and dusted, well done to France for achieving the Grand Slam and the championship. Well done to Italy, and Scotland who are proving the Rugby world wrong time after time, and seems the timing could not be more ideal for the World Cup. I love refereeing, I take my hat off to these refs, who do it pretty much for the love of the game as the pay isn't all that special.

Well done to some referees who had cracker performances and who really stood up for positions in next years World Cup. Well done to Romain Poite, Wayne Barnes, Mark Lawrence, Craig Joubert, Alan Lewis, Christophe Berdos. They all proved to be exceptional referees, may I say I thought Craig Joubert was simply fantastic in his game.

However some referees caught my eye in a very negative way, Bryce Lawrence for his what I thought at least were utter failures come scrum time. I really don't know what he was seeing, also in the rucks some of the things he came out and said were interesting.

George Clancy, get's some recognition for his poorness in general. Hopefully he is being sat down with his selector's to see how he can improve and quite rapidly as well.

Now I'm biased, but I'm sure a lot of people may agree with me, why was Stuart Dickinson of Australia not refereeing any matches, when people like George Clancy, Bryce Lawrence, and Dave Pearson all received appointments, which came out with a very poor result. After one bad performance, he misses out on games. Bryce Lawrence, George Clancy, have had a lot of shockers (unsure about Mr Pearson) yet they all receive appointments (fairly good ones too).

May I also say having the referees use the new interpretations half way through the tournament was a farce at the very least, I really think the IRB should have reassess Paddy O'Brien's performance as the referees manager, and look towards a fresh face, I'm thinking Lyndon Bray, Andre Watson, Andrew Cole who have actually bought the game forward with their logic.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I really think the IRB should have reassess Paddy O'Brien's performance as the referees manager, and look towards a fresh face, I'm thinking Lyndon Bray, Andre Watson, Andrew Cole who have actually bought the game forward with their logic.

Well, my vote for this position would go to Simon Thomas, or to really shake things up (in a POSITIVE way IMO) Davet.

:)

didds

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
... why was Stuart Dickinson of Australia not refereeing any matches, when people like George Clancy, Bryce Lawrence, and Dave Pearson all received appointments ...
Perhaps the powers that be wanted to give some of the less able refs more international experience before the Rugby World Cup in just 18 months? :chin:

Padster

Referees in England
Post Likes
I may regret this but I agree with your comments Chief.:D :D :D :D

chief

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Perhaps the powers that be wanted to give some of the less able refs more international experience before the Rugby World Cup in just 18 months? :chin:

Severely doubt it, remember Milan, and what was said after it?

truck'n'trailor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Bryce Lawrence managed to put together the worst performance of any international referee for years. Dire, dire, dire. Based on that performance he should be off for good.

Mike Selig

Referees in England
Post Likes
In my opinion and more or less in order:

Very good:
Joubert
Barnes
Kaplan

Good:
Poite
Rolland

Above average:
Owens

Average:
Jonker
M Lawrence

Below average:
Lewis
Clancy (sorry to say, I like the guy)

Poor:
Pearson

On his own:
B Lawrence

Thought Joubert and Barnes in France-Ireland gave the best displays of refereeing overall, whilst Kaplan's general management and scrums were the best. Poite confirmed he's amongst the rising refs for me also, whilst BL clearly isn't up to it. Clancy had his moments but was good in the last few minutes when he could've let it get away from him. I wasn't as keen on M Lawrence's effort as most on here seem to be. I missed England-Italy so can't comment on Berdos.

Mat 04

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Jonathan Kaplan was total crap in his second game. Absolutely awful.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I agree with just about everything chief... except this;

May I also say having the referees use the new interpretations half way through the tournament was a farce at the very least, I really think the IRB should have reassess Paddy O'Brien's performance as the referees manager, and look towards a fresh face, I'm thinking Lyndon Bray, Andre Watson, Andrew Cole who have actually bought the game forward with their logic.

Firstly, it was not Paddy O'Brien's decision. He is the referees manager, and as such, his job is to manage the referees. While he may announce such changes to the press and public, decisions like this are made collectively. If you are going to try hanging this on him, you also have to hang it on all the other members of the Laws committee, including people like Bill Beaumont, Rod MacQueen, Bill Nolan, Graeme Mourie, Pierre Villeprieux and Ian McIntosh.

Secondly, last year, people in the game, including some prominent players and referees, complained bitterly about how different Laws and interpretations were in use all around the world, confusing people, players and referees alike. So this time the iRB make the changes everywhere in the world at the same time, and you still want to complain? With the way competitions overlap, there is no neat "slot" into which the changes could be made. For many years, the SH has had the rough end when it comes to mid season changes. This time, it affects the NH more than us. Too bad!

chief

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Yes maybe I am a little harsh on O'Brien. I think after the World Cup they may just find a new referees manager, only a suspicion, but the media are certainly not happy with him, the ARU want a new IRB manager, as I'm sure England, Ireland, and other nations do. Being major stake holders within the game it certainly will be interesting.

However, it's not about O'Brien. I turned off the sound from the English commentator when I watched it again (England v France) and well I still found Mr Lawrence's performance very below average. How about some consistency like the Dickinson case, seems only Dickinson was ousted and will be ousted.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
seems only Dickinson was ousted and will be ousted.
Other referees have been dropped in the past - it just has not been publicly announced. It is not the sort of thing that ought to happen very often.

Emmet Murphy

Referees in England
Post Likes
Secondly, last year, people in the game, including some prominent players and referees, complained bitterly about how different Laws and interpretations were in use all around the world, confusing people, players and referees alike. So this time the iRB make the changes everywhere in the world at the same time, and you still want to complain? With the way competitions overlap, there is no neat "slot" into which the changes could be made. For many years, the SH has had the rough end when it comes to mid season changes. This time, it affects the NH more than us. Too bad!

Agreed. It has to happen sometime and I too do not like having different laws being used in different competitions at the same time. The only comment I would make would be to do with the publicity - it should have been made a lot clearer to everyone that this change was happening. Craig Joubert had to stop the game and explain the law change to the Irish players midway through the match with Wales. Whose fault that is I do not know - but it looked like there had been a communication breakdown somewhere.

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
I agree with just about everything chief... except this;

Firstly, it was not Paddy O'Brien's decision. He is the referees manager, and as such, his job is to manage the referees. While he may announce such changes to the press and public, decisions like this are made collectively. If you are going to try hanging this on him, you also have to hang it on all the other members of the Laws committee, including people like Bill Beaumont, Rod MacQueen, Bill Nolan, Graeme Mourie, Pierre Villeprieux and Ian McIntosh.

The neatest slot is after every world cup -this would effect the NH early/mid season but would be fairest on all national sides. The biggest issue is no one knows when the changes are coming.

(And this is nothing to with POB)

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
The law of unintended consequences dictates that when you introduce a law to curb one problem you open the door to another - and some coach will find it.

Any idea that the game or the laws can stand still is unrealistic. Even having a one year moratorium before each RWC has proven virtually impossible to adhere to.

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
The law of unintended consequences dictates that when you introduce a law to curb one problem you open the door to another - and some coach will find it.

Any idea that the game or the laws can stand still is unrealistic. Even having a one year moratorium before each RWC has proven virtually impossible to adhere to.

Should have been clearer, MAJOR change once every 4 years, minor rulings more frequently

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Should have been clearer, MAJOR change once every 4 years, minor rulings more frequently

And if a MAJOR problem crops up at an inconvenient time?

As a goal, it is reasonable, but as a commitment it would be unrealistic.

triage

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
May I also say having the referees use the new interpretations half way through the tournament was a farce at the very least,

excuse my ignorance but which new interpretations were brought in?

chief

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
excuse my ignorance but which new interpretations were brought in?

Ensuring that tacklers release the tackled player when they go to ground before they start playing the ball.

triage

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Ensuring that tacklers release the tackled player when they go to ground before they start playing the ball.

that is not a new interpretation (IMO) but just reinforcement of the laws...the laws have always been clear on this but at the top end of the game they had forgotten it......I would have been chastised on a Saturday by my assessors if I had allowed the tackler to hold onto a player while getting onto his feet........we talked about this as a society due to the press being all hung up about it before the first game of the 6 nations.....we were told the reinforcement of existing interpretations was a result of the laws not being enforced at the top end...... An example would be if tomorrow the IRB announced that all players not putting the ball in straight need to be free kicked immediately, this would be a reinforcement of a law as it was not being refereed and not a new interpretation. Wouldn't you agree?

chief

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Yes it was a reinforcement, but it hasn't been policed for some time. Excess of at least 5 years, at least.