Oz scrum management for 2014...

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
This is the gist of what we've been told (James Leckie provided the presentation)...and of course no signal at all for the SH to feed.

View attachment 2831

Anyone experiencing any issues with preseason trial games?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
all good for me

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Mostly Ok for me, but surely a sign to the 9 to feed is preferable to waiting until they think it is square and steady.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
They did it on their own last year? And if you think they're delaying then you can instruct them to feed it (just like last year)?

I personally prefer that the advantage remains with the feed side, so I don't think it should be up to me to tell them when that best is for them. Provided I maintain standards on S and S and the feed is credible then I'm happy to leave it to them.

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
They did it on their own last year? And if you think they're delaying then you can instruct them to feed it (just like last year)?

I personally prefer that the advantage remains with the feed side, so I don't think it should be up to me to tell them when that best is for them. Provided I maintain standards on S and S and the feed is credible then I'm happy to leave it to them.

I think you have a point there menace, but unless I'm getting confused this law change was meant to minimise the number of scrums that go down by ensuring the scrum was well bound and stable prior to the ball entering and the contest beginning. Letting the 9 decide when it is S&S is going to be difficult as how do they know when you are happy? After all they are probably interested in a quick feed, while we as refs are looking for compliance with the laws regarding binds etc.

The feed side still has the advantage in the 9 tapping the hooker on the arm and feeding it, as I won't be giving verbal signals this year, which makes it more difficult for the non-feed side to time the shove.

- - - Updated - - -

"#2 has to hook the ball" - so no 8-man shoves then?

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I think you have a point there menace, but unless I'm getting confused this law change was meant to minimise the number of scrums that go down by ensuring the scrum was well bound and stable prior to the ball entering and the contest beginning. Letting the 9 decide when it is S&S is going to be difficult as how do they know when you are happy? After all they are probably interested in a quick feed, while we as refs are looking for compliance with the laws regarding binds etc.

The feed side still has the advantage in the 9 tapping the hooker on the arm and feeding it, as I won't be giving verbal signals this year, which makes it more difficult for the non-feed side to time the shove.

- - - Updated - - -

"#2 has to hook the ball" - so no 8-man shoves then?

Chat to the SH, tell him ball only in once S & S....if he doesn't then knock him off. There should be no hit and chase...but yes, if the #9 times it well , then as we have no command at all (ARUs ruling) then they have the opportunity to still have them walk over it. If they get the timing wrong and they walk over the mark before the ball then Knicks em off.

As for the #2 'has' to hook. That was explained to us as what you'd be expecting to see, not a law thing. I suspect for a while they will still try to walk over it so it will be 8 v 8. But from games I've seen so far, the best and cleanest ball is one where hooked!

I guess we will see in good time how it works down here.

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Mostly Ok for me, but surely a sign to the 9 to feed is preferable to waiting until they think it is square and steady.

You should set it up in your pre-match. Mine is something along the lines of "The feed is on you, however wait for stability and if you are unsure ask and I'll either tell you to get the ball in or tell the pack to steady up".

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
It's worked well in trials.

I've found that I tell the 9 that first few scrums I will give him a signal, and if all goes well, I will give the control over to them. Worked well for me so far. Scrums are really good and quite a few against the head too!