Padded compression shorts

bellnier

Post Likes
We've had recent conversations about padded undershorts. Every once in a while a player will show up on the pitch with padded shorts. This typically goes unnoticed until the player is in the game. How is this best handled? Should we be preemptive and tell the captains that their players risk being sanctioned under 4.4(f), maybe even a card for willful violation?

bellnier

Post Likes
Rugby shorts are, well, quite short. When they ride up a bit during the action it's sometimes fairly easy to see the sewn in padding over the thigh.

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Shorts and underwear are different items of clothing worn by a player. Undershorts are underwear, not shorts. 4.4f prevents padded shorts from being worn, so cannot apply to undershorts. Padded undershorts are not specifically prohibited, but neither are they specifically allowed to be padded either (Regulation 12). If you would not allow padded socks, nor sternum or rib padding protection (Regulation 12 only permits shoulder padding) then you can require padded shorts to be removed (but separate rib padding would be allowed as a corset). Equally, depending on level, you could permit these items as long as the padding is not thicker than the general prohibition of 0.5cm when uncompressed (Regulation 12). The player could wear the padding that is in his undershorts as a (presumably crotchless! (no thank you Dickie)) support under Law 4.1a.

I've got bigger things to worry about than players' padded undershorts. Nor would I worry if he/she was wearing cycling shorts as underwear - they would not be required to remove the saddle padding.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
(presumably crotchless! (no thank you Dickie))

Do I have a Johari Window that I am unaware of?

I use to wear shorts that had a sown-in pocket on each side. Into which one would insert a rectangular piece of foam.

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
If they are ridiculous, tell them to take them off, if they look ok, allow it.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
We've had recent conversations about padded undershorts. Every once in a while a player will show up on the pitch with padded shorts. This typically goes unnoticed until the player is in the game. How is this best handled? Should we be preemptive and tell the captains that their players risk being sanctioned under 4.4(f), maybe even a card for willful violation?
Oddly enough, Gilbert sells a padded undershorts including this statement:

All Gilbert body armour meets the technical specifications of the International Rugby Board (IRB) and is approved for match play.

Some might disagree with that, and we might even think we are in the right. But the player has forked out the best part of £30 on this underwear from a respected and high-profile manufacturer, and it's no big deal if he wears it. I'd be inclined to let it slide unless the oppo ask awkward questions. When that happens, I'd want to be sure of my ground when preventing it being worn. Regulation 12 contains clause 4g:

[LAWS](g) A player must not wear any item of which any part is thicker than 0.5cm when uncompressed or is denser than 45 kilograms per cubic metre unless specified within this Regulation 12/Law 4. Where this overall thickness consists of padded material covered by fabric, 0.5 cm is the maximum measured thickness for the combination of the uncompressed padding and the fabric. The fabric can contribute up to a maximum measured thickness of 1 mm on each side of the padding[/LAWS]

and then goes on to discuss specifications for specific items such as headgear. From a quick read of this, there certainly seems a strong case to suggest that apart from those specified items, the terms of 4g cover all other clothing - including undershorts. This view is (for me at least) bolstered by the fact that the padding in shoulder pads and headgear is allowed to exceed 0.5cm

The headgear must have zones of coverage that cover the crown, temple, forehead (sweatband area) and ear areas. The zones of coverage shall fulfil the requirements of the impact performance specification (Section 3.4.1) and have a maximum padding thickness of 10mm+2mm tolerance band plus an additional allowance of 1mm on each side for fabric.

Shoulder padding ... will have a maximum thickness of 10mm +2mm tolerance band plus an additional allowance of 1mm on each side for fabric.