Padding in shorts

Jenko

Referees in England
Post Likes
I noticed 2 or 3 players wearing lycra undershorts with padding in them during the England Scotland game. See photo of Flutey below.

flutey_1597027c.jpg

Surely this contravenes law 4.4 (f)

(f) A player must not wear shorts with padding sewn into them.

Or is it deemed to be underwear and therefore does not contravene said law??

Last edited:

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I think they are illeagal, slippery slope.
Used to get away with wearing some my RL playing brother had a few years ago that were about an inch thick down the side of the leg to protect against dead legs.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Illegal under IRB Reg 12, un-necessary and wimpish. Sets poor example and lowers standards in the Community Game through their example.

major hurrrrrummpppppppphhhhhh !

GeorgeR

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Its a really unfortunate banner that came up when I clicked on the photo - -you might want to change it :eek:

Jenko

Referees in England
Post Likes
that will teach me to use a hosting service you don't need to register with!!:mad: :eek:

Pablo

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Next time, use the communal photobucket account - look in my signature

ckuxmann

Referees in America
Post Likes
I would disagree that is not sewn into the shorts it is in the underwear.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
"Law 4.4 (f) A player must not wear shorts with padding sewn into them."

So how do you differentiate between shorts with padding sewn in and shorts actually made of shock absorbent materials, such as Sorbothane, Noene or Norsorex?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I am a little concerned that Jenko spent most of the match watching mens underwear :wow: :nono:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I have raised formally the conflicting use of full length leggings and padded shorts / underwear and IRB Regulation 12 with RFU and they are considering whether to raise it officially with the IRB.

Casey Bee

Referees in England
Post Likes
I have raised formally the conflicting use of full length leggings and padded shorts / underwear and IRB Regulation 12 with RFU and they are considering whether to raise it officially with the IRB.

I see the padded shorts per the picture, but are ppl now wearing full length leggings too?

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Yes - a few at National League level, a few in various Divisional and County Leagues and quite regualarly attempt to at Youth / Schools ages !

RFU Refs Dept gave clear advice that they were not allowed. Still refs give inconsistent advice and some allow them to be worn.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
this is the Nasty Pig cod piece.

Mrs Dickie's favourite

Last edited:

Casey Bee

Referees in England
Post Likes
Yes - a few at National League level, a few in various Divisional and County Leagues and quite regualarly attempt to at Youth / Schools ages !

RFU Refs Dept gave clear advice that they were not allowed. Still refs give inconsistent advice and some allow them to be worn.

Ok. I don't think it's just me who finds this sort of thing bloomin' annoying. Always seem to be people who think they are above the law or can ignore directives or make up their own. Why do people feel the need to wear leggings? Seems pretty ridiculous... if they are getting cold they aren't doing enough work? Are players getting more precious and unable to cope?

It would almost be tempting as a ref to allow these players to start game wearing this kit, then send them off to remove it... costing their own team a player disadvantage??

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Padded shorts - feedback from RFU is that according to the IRB the under-shorts must not be thicker that 5mm thick.

RFU sugested tongue in cheek that perhaps we can get some sponsored measuring devices.

Full leggings are NOT legal playing kit as they don't end at the knee.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Watch what happens if I see any of our Referees (or incoming Exchange Referee) wearing them in Hampshire !

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Watch what happens if I see any of our Referees (or incoming Exchange Referee) wearing them in Hampshire !

Tights (let's call them what they are) are only for girls.................and hookers :wow: