Paddys Letter to the elite

Big J

Referees in England
Post Likes
Over the weekend their were 4 Heineken Cup matches on television all refereed by members of the IRB Elite referees panel.

In two of the matches the referees did not adhere to the New Scrum Engagement procedure in that they called Crouch, and then the Touch and Pause as one call. Both these referees and their managers will be e-mailed separately.

This is Contrary to Law and must CEASE IMMEDIATELY.

It is disappointing that after the Directive went out last week two international Referees are still calling the scrums incorrectly.

I again emphasise that the 'Elite panel Referees' are our shop window and what they do on the field is replicated all over the world at Club and junior level.

The Engagement call at all scrums is

CROUCH

TOUCH

PAUSE

ENGAGE

Regards

Paddy.

Paddy O'Brien

Referee Manager

Pablo

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
How did you come by this information?

Wert Twacky

Referees in England
Post Likes
Pablo - it came out via email.

Go Mr O'B - I have a dream - consistency at all levels!

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Just to confirm this is an official communication from Paddy O'Brien, which has been forwarded to all English Panel Refs by Steve Leyshon of RFU.

Elite Referees having wrists slapped for not using correct words (love it direct emials to them and theor managers by Paddy !) - we emphasised at Society meeting last night to use four distinct elements, with no linking 'and' plus use PAUSE not HOLD.

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
The three worst culprits were the French referees with their:

CrouchTouchn'Old (all in one breath) then Engage

and the Irish fella (name escapes me) who only did the Pause, engage - and even then didn't call the Pause all the time

Glad that Paddy O'B is making a big song and dance over this.

Lets see what happens in the 6-Nations when the SH refs get a look into the TV audience :cool:

Bungle

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I spotted Nigel Owens from Wales was doing the whole 'touchnpause' in Gloucester v Agen on Friday night. Big deep sigh from me watching that game. Here we go again I thought....another big chasm between TV rugby and ourselves.

Glad to see Paddy cracking down on it swiftly.

PaulDG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Here we go again I thought....another big chasm between TV rugby and ourselves.

Glad to see Paddy cracking down on it swiftly.

I was also delighted to see a few Free Kicks being given for feeding the scrum and at least one for delaying the put in. That and at least one scrum going against the head!

Wert Twacky

Referees in England
Post Likes
Most of the elite guys will have selection for the World Cup on their minds (due June I think), so it's in their best interest to obey the commands from the big cheese himself.
It's sooooooooo good seeing them FKs for feeding though - I agree :D