[Tackle] Past the tipping point on tip tackles?

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
The thread about stopping play for a scuffle got me thinking about an incident in my game on Saturday.

There was a tip tackle, not a bad one (in fact ten years ago it'd have been considered a great tackle), but with the laws the way they are it was technically a penalty.

The thing that struck me though, was that nearly everyone stopped playing (before I'd blown - if they hadn't stopped I'd have played advantage).

I've heard rumours that the powers that be want to take a more common sense approach to tip tackles are true, but there is this mindset amongst the players, is there any hope?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
something is definitely changing, you won't find a copy of the infamous 2009 memo in any official site on the web, and in the RWC every single RC for a tip-tackle was judged by the tribunal as not, in fact, meeting the criteria for a tip-tackle (and were dealt with merely as generic dangerous tackles under 10.4)

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
something is definitely changing, you won't find a copy of the infamous 2009 memo in any official site on the web, and in the RWC every single RC for a tip-tackle was judged by the tribunal as not, in fact, meeting the criteria for a tip-tackle (and were dealt with merely as generic dangerous tackles under 10.4)

The memo is not necessary as it has been added to the Laws.

[LAWS](j)
Lifting a player from the ground and dropping or driving that player into the ground whilst that player's feet are still off the ground such that the player's head and/or upper body come into contact with the ground is dangerous play.

[/LAWS]

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
yes but in addition to defining a tip tackle (the defintion has evolved and is different in today's Law Book) the memo also set out guidance on when a tip-tackle should be a RC, YC or PK - and that guidance is still referred to in disciplinaries - including at the RWC.

Last edited:

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
If I get the chance in these scenarios and I'm certain there is no injury, I will call, "I've seen it, advantage blue" and hopefully players will play the whistle as they should always do.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I think the tip tackle needs official clarification, because I am seeing good tackles being ruled as tip tackles when they aren't.

1. There MUST be a grasp and lift.

a. hitting a player below the CofG, resulting in a tip over is NOT a tip tackle. Its an unfortunate accident where no blame can be attached.

b. hitting a player high and legally in the chest, resulting in a tip over with the ball carrier landing on his shoulders is just a damned good tackle, not a tip tackle.

2. I still hear TMOs and Referees talking about the position of the player's legs when talking about tip tackles. This is WRONG. It should be the relative positions of the shoulders and hips that determine of the player has been tipped beyond horizontal NOT the position of the legs....

ARU-GMGTT1.jpg

... under the 2016 ARU GMG, a player in this position has been tipped beyond horizontal!

[LAWS]• Any time a tackled player's legs are lifted above horizontal it should result in a yellow card as a minimum. If the tackled player is lifted and lands on their shoulder or head area it should result in a red card[/LAWS]

To their credit, USAR have this just about right in their GMG

[LAWS]4. Spear tackle or tip tackle. Lifting a player from the ground, turning the body
horizontal or beyond
, and either driving the player into the ground or dropping
the player without regard for the player’s safety. PK and Red Card.
• When a player is lifted, there is an obligation on the tackler to get the player
to the ground safely.
If the tackler lowers the player such that the lower body contacts the
ground first there is no offense.

• If the tackler attempts to lower the player safely, but is unsuccessful.
[/LAWS]

I especially like the bit in red.

The Law says lifting a player, turning him beyond horizontal AND dropping or driving him head/upper body first is a PK offence.

[LAWS]Law 10.4 (j) Lifting a player from the ground and dropping or driving that player into the ground whilst that player’s feet are still off the ground such that the player’s head and/or upper body come into contact with the ground is dangerous play.
Sanction: Penalty kick[/LAWS]
The lift and turn horizontal is not an offence unless the victim's head/upper body strike the ground first. If the tackler realises his mistake and brings the player down safely, then its not a PK IMO.

Last edited: