Pat Lam takes Exeter to task on being offside at the lineout..

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
It seems it’s the one on 64 minutes he was not happy with.
Perhaps also worth checking if the throw on 39 minutes was straight or not. To check how objectively he is seeing things. Both line-outs, resulted in driving mauls and ultimately in a try been scored ( or from Pat Lam’s point of view, tries being conceded.)

Exeter’s first try, with the last play of the first half when they trailed to an Ian Madigan penalty, also followed a decision to go on the attack and attempt to win possession from the lineout rather than kick three points. This time they used the driving maul as a decoy, whipping the ball to the midfield and, after the lock Dave Dennis took a penalty under their posts quickly, Henry Slade’s long pass to Santiago Cordero broke an obdurate defence.

They were trailing here with 15 minutes to go but so trust in themselves that they declined to kick a penalty in front of the posts that would have put them back in front, opting for a lineout and driving maul. It worked, if not in the manner intended because their drive was repelled by a side that was defensively sound all afternoon. It was only when the ball was moved wide and Exeter attacked the line that the flanker Sean Lonsdale vindicated the decision not to take the three points by forcing his way over.

The Bristol coach, Pat Lam, felt both tries should have been disallowed, the first because of a crooked throw and the second for a breach in the law governing the lineout he feels Exeter and other teams constantly get away with.

“I have pointed it out to the Rugby Football Union,” said Lam, whose complaint refers to what he sees as a non-application of the law when backs immediately join a maul following a lineout before it has reached the 15-metre line. “We should have had a penalty but the law is not being enforced,” he maintained.

Source https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/jan/05/exeter-bristol-premiership-rugby-match-report#img-1

Last edited:

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Exeter win a penalty at the scrum and kick for touch. The first line-out concerned was short of the Bristol 10m line occurs at 36 minutes and 9 seconds on the match clock. (46 minutes and 57 seconds into the full match reel. Black jumper uses his left hand first to gather the ball. Fairly clear sign the throw was not straight (not horribly crooked, but definitely not straight) and Bristol had little chance of contesting.
Ref allows play to continue.

At 62 minutes and 30 seconds on the clock (1 hour 31 minutes and 10 seconds into the full match clip) Exeter win a penalty for offside seven meters short of Bristol’s line. Trailing 7 to 9; They turn down the kickable penalty to kick into the corner.
Pat Lam is right the backs never retreated, having rushed up on the off chance their hooker over threw the 15m tramline, so joined the maul from an offside position. They are obliged to get back on side before joining the maul. Piss poor tactic really, how are Premiership referees not penalising this?

For me it is a little like crossing on back line moves. The centers know the ball is going to be passed deep, since they have practiced the move all week. Yet they still cross in front and obstruct the defenders. (Illegal tactic, since it is deliberate.) Here it’s similar, they know full well the lineout throw is going to the middle of the line, because that’s how they practiced the move all bloody week.

Last edited:

oliver

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
At 62 minutes and 30 seconds on the clock (1 hour 31 minutes and 10 seconds into the full match clip) Exeter win a penalty for offside seven meters short of Bristol’s line. Trailing 7 to 9; They turn down the kickable penalty to kick into the corner.
Pat Lam is right the backs never retreated, having rushed up on the off chance their hooker over threw the 15m tramline, so joined the maul from an offside position. They are obliged to get back on side before joining the maul. Piss poor tactic really, how are Premiership referees not penalising this?

2 backs join (11 very ineffectively probably from the side and 12) and watching them and the ball carrier reminded me of something that's been bugging me for a while. Whenever backs join a maul from a lineout, how is it that a forward still has the ball? England scored a lineout try involving the backs and I believe it was Hartley that was the one to score. I thought 2016 applicate guidelines prevented the "squeeze" back of a player and instead encouraged transferring the ball back?

Edit: rewatching the try, I'm mistaken, the ball remains in the middle of the lineout, but the squeeze back still happens, as sort of seen in the Exeter maul.

Last edited: