[Ruck] Pawing/holding the ball back for the scrum half

HappyScrummie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
Hello all,

Just wanted people's opinions on something I've seen happen in the ruck. Usually it only happens when the team in possession have won the ruck quite comfortably and are not under pressure.

I've seen players who are at the back of the ruck roll the ball back slightly with one hand or even hold it out back for the scrum half between the legs, whilst remaining bound with the other arm.

Can I assume that this is technically a penalty for the opposition because of 'hands in the ruck'? It feels like a silly one to give when they're not under pressure, but I've seen it happen and ignored (presumably because the opposition were barely contesting).

How would you manage it? A word in the ear and then penalise if it happens again?

Cheers

colesy

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Technically illegal but, if the ball is clearly won by one side, let it go in the interest of quick ball and continuity.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Yep - that's the easy and sensible way forward.

but I would also say that if its that easily and readily won, then why does the team need to do it - aside from giving themselves an additional advantage of removing the possibility of a silly fumble at the base and a fraction of a second's advantage for the s/half passing away - which could equate to a metre or two of ground at full pace...

didds

didds

colesy

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
I was thinking more along the lines of the situation where the defending team has lost the contest, but the ball is in such a position that it might take the 9 an inordinate length of time to dig it out without some “assistance”.

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
If the 'competition for the ball' is already won I think we all want the ball out as soon as possible; making it 'slightly' easier for the scrum-half is acceptable but I would be calling 'use it' once the ball is at the back particularly if the ball was held off the ground -team in possession can hardly complain if the other option is either PK or unplayable. (particularly if the opposition were complaining for 'hands' managed by SAME FOR YOU GUYS )

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
This vvvv from the 1915 (my latest version) of the USA Game Mgmnt Guidelines.

A. RUCK

1. The ball is out when it is totally exposed and clear of bodies( of players in the ruck).

2. While the competition for the ball in a ruck is ongoing, hands by players in the ruck, are NOT allowed. PK

3. Once the ball has been clearly won, pushing the ball back by using the hand, by a player of the team that have won possession of the ball is permissible.

4. Digging for the ball, by the player of the team who has won possession of the ball, who is in the scrumhalf position and not part of the ruck, is permissible and the BALL IS NOT OUT.

5. If a player in the scrum half position is not retrieving (digging for) the ball, but holding the ball, with one or two hands, the BALL IS NOT OUT, picking up the ball is OUT.

6. Players in the ruck may under no circumstance slap the ball out of the scrumhalf’s hands or interfere with the scrumhalf. PK

Red - pertinent to this thread and Blue - pertinent to another thread

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
This vvvv from the 1915 (my latest version) of the USA Game Mgmnt Guidelines.

Jeez Chris, I knew you were an old codger, but don't you think its about time for an updated version!!?

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Shit, no wonder my checks are getting rejected!

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Put this in the context of the mono-ruck.

Support player arrives, crouched over the ball, no ops challenge. Move the ball back with a hand? Not a problem for me. Comment?

HappyScrummie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
Thanks all - think sensible approach without going straight for the whistle sounds like a good shout.