Penalty for playing the ball on the ground?

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
If a player is on the ground, the ball rolls up to him and there is no-one else near enough to pick up the ball, then he has time to get to his feet to pick the ball up. If he toe-pokes it into touch, then you might well decide that it was immaterial, since if he had got to his feet and kicked or run it into touch, the same outcome would have been likely.

However, if another an opponent is nearby and he toe-pokes it into touch, or bats it away to a team-mate, he has illegally denied his opponent the opportunity to pick up the ball legally.

People can come up with all the scenarios they like regarding the ball and a player on the ground, but the fact is that there is one statement that basically sums up how the Law should be applied...

"The Game is to be played by players who are on their feet." Law 14 Definitions

Its simple and its completely unambiguous; if you ain't on your feet, you ain't playing The Game, so leave the effing ball alone!!!

The ONLY times that this does not apply is when the Laws SPECIFICALLY permit a player to play the ball when that player is off their feet....

Law 14 Definitions - para 1

Law 14.1 (a)

Law 15.5 (b), (c), (d) and (g)

Law 15.6 (a) Exception

Law 22.4 (e) - as per 15.5 (g)

Do not think of knocking out another person's brains because he differs in opinion from you. It would be as rational to knock yourself on the head because you differ from yourself ten years ago.
Horace Mann

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
It is indeed a "jobsworth" penalty. But a penalty nonetheless. The full-back knocking on when there's no-one around is also a jobsworth ping, as is pulling a penalty taker back when he bounces the ball off his knee or taps it against his foot. Will your association also ask you not to ping those? There are many others that we could agree to ignore - but isn't that the iRB's job?

Agree Dixie....but what to do? Ask for clarification from a high ranking grading guy, get it, and then go against it? Not such a wise choice as Ill be doing women's games till I retire! When IRB come out with a ruling.....then ill follow that. But to be honest, when it happens I suspect my instincts will decide what I do and I'll just do it.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Not quite sure, will have to check the replay BUT I think that a Crusaders player played the ball while off his feet in the very last play of the Super Rugby semi against the Reds last night. Ref played on.

Rassie

Post Likes
But how many times you see a 9 going down on one knee digs the ball out and passes? Haven't seen any been pinned for that ever.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
But how many times you see a 9 going down on one knee digs the ball out and passes? Haven't seen any been pinned for that ever.

How often? Never!

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Never seen a SH on his knees digging for a ball, no.

Rassie

Post Likes
Will this do?
vlcsnap-2013-07-21-20h42m57s51_zpsc750df17.png
vlcsnap-2013-07-21-20h43m08s163_zps63a5d4ed.png

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
2 more responses.
1 Premiership ref, 1 former Super Rugby ref.
Both in the OB camp.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Up-date OB.
Rather high level ex-ref at ARU agrees with the OB party. Off feet = out of game.
Extra scenario put to this chap about a player on the ground "kicking" the ball got the same response.

So now we have two guys at ARU, both with many years experience, who disagree with each other on this issue. Therefore I would find it difficult to imagine getting an official clarification from our Union.

One for the IRB. Hope we can get one of the unions to seek clarification.

Will keep pressing down under in that direction.

Last edited:

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Just watching Northampton demolition of Saracens.
Northamptons 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] Try, on the retreat Foden goes to ground to recovera ball, he gathers the ball & releases it [all good so far] however he’sstill on the ground & he then re-collects the ball & pops it up to ateammate , Northampton continue forward & soon score their 3[SUP]rd[/SUP]try.
Anyone got a clip ?

bodybyvi

Banned
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
well whatever i know after knowing your situation this isnt a bad decision at all.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
well whatever i know after knowing your situation this isnt a bad decision at all.
Sales person alert. 3 posts, all asinine and only vaguely related to the topic of the thread. Mods, please monitor this person'a activity.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Sales person alert. 3 posts, all asinine and only vaguely related to the topic of the thread. Mods, please monitor this person'a activity.

we are.

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I would just get rid anyway, body by vi is a pile of turd :rc: