Penalty not taken at the mark

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Accylad

Sorry if I offended you, and I certainly wouldn't want to stop people asking questions for fear of ridicule. If that happened I would never dare open my mouth again!

But for someone to get to federation level in their refereeing, and not be sure about the sanction for something that I found totally uncontroversial, really surprised me.

Clearly what is obvious to one person, is not so to others.....and vice versa.

However, having had to live in both Lancashire AND Yorkshire I feel I have penancepennance in advance...........in spades :tongue:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
..for someone to get to federation level in their refereeing, and not be sure about the sanction for something that I found totally uncontroversial, really surprised me.

Clearly what is obvious to one person, is not so to others.....and vice versa.

Phil

Small holes in knowledge are not uncommon even at high levels. We've all seen elite level referee make Law errors. I've seen an elite referee (refereeing a test match no less) have to be reminded that a drop-out 22 made dead in-goal by a defending player at the other end is not a drop out 22. The team making the ball dead have the option of a scrum back at the 22m where the ball was kicked, with their throw in.

Basic & fundamental stuff.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I am definitely sick of the red rose. :biggrin:

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
..... I've seen an elite referee (refereeing a test match no less) have to be reminded that a drop-out 22 made dead in-goal by a defending player at the other end is not a drop out 22. The team making the ball dead have the option of a scrum back at the 22m where the ball was kicked, with their throw in. Basic & fundamental stuff.
Doesn't it depend whether the ball was made dead "without delay"?

My point is that the ref may have thought there had been a delay, and the kick /scrum option wasn't available any more.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Doesn't it depend whether the ball was made dead "without delay"?

My point is that the ref may have thought there had been a delay, and the kick /scrum option wasn't available any more.

Yes it does, but in this case, there was no delay, yet the referee awarded a 22m. R. McCaw reminded him that he had a scrum option, and the referee said "Oops. that's right" or something to that effect, and went back to the Springbok 22m for a scrum