Penalty not taken at the mark

Accylad

Referees in England
Post Likes
Now of course the answer to this is "manage it" but I am looking for re-assurance in the event that management fails.....

"there's the mark for the penalty 10"

10 proceeds to run 2 meters past the mark and just gains touch.

Next penalty...

"10, I have made the mark there make sure you don't overrun it like you did last time..."

Repeat of running past it......

I THINK that the sanction is a scrum at the mark for the opposition. :chin: Anyone disagree??

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
.... I THINK that the sanction is a scrum at the mark for the opposition. :chin: Anyone disagree??
As I see it, your options are:
  1. Ignore it - if he was just say 6" in front of the mark and comfortably wellied it 20' into touch you think it immaterial but have a word
  2. Disallow the kick and get him to take it properly or
  3. Scrum at the mark - opposition put in.

As it's a 2nd infringement, and he's quite a way off the mark I think I'd vote for a scrum. He can't really complain can he?

Last edited:

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
I agree -I have only ever done it once. Clearly overstepping the mark when punting for touch, asked once, told once, PEEP as he stepped way over the mark and kicked JUST AFTER I HAD TOLD HIM, and what I would do if he repeated the trick. Skipper was as frustrated as I was. But it makes no difference he pleaded -well take it from 3m BEHIND the mark if it makes no difference. 'Dull, Dull, Dull' to quote another contributor.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Tim

Your profile was showing "moderator attention required", so I changed your user group to advisor/assessor and referees in England.

For some reason it now says you are in Argentina?????

I have sent Robbie a message to look at it.

Phil

coonor

ELRA/Club Referee
Post Likes
I agree, especially since you have made it quite clear that he must take the penalty from the make as given by you.

Accylad

Referees in England
Post Likes
Thanks folks, I can now be confident if I see it.

All pens taken from the spot this afternoon!:biggrin:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I agree, especially since you have made it quite clear that he must take the penalty from the make as given by you.

Or near to it. lets not be pedantic about it.
Remember we are looking for reasons NOT to blow. Materiality may come into play as well.

PS how do you get to level 7 without being sure of the sanction for an incorrectly taken kick?

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
On the "management" front, may be worth drawing the skipper into the equation on the 2nd infraction, before pulling up for the scrum. If you've let one marginal picky offence go with a word, why not two as you escalate?

As to the sanction, I agree - scrum at the mark.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
As I see it, your options are:
  1. Ignore it - if he was just say 6" in front of the mark and comfortably wellied it 20' into touch you think it immaterial but have a word
  2. Disallow the kick and get him to take it properly or
  3. Scrum at the mark - opposition put in.

I would likely invoke option 2 before I went to 3

Accylad

Referees in England
Post Likes
PhilE, am disappointed by your post :sad:

I have always managed the situation satisfactorily but browsing LoTG over Christmas break I felt that the sanction for not taking at the mark was not as crystal clear as I might have hoped, so thought I would re-assure myself with a quick question of my peers. Surely that is part of the purpose of this excellent web site - somewhere where without fear of ridicule we can be open about what we don't know?

Result of my question is that I am reassured that what I would have done is right and I bet someone reading it and the replies has been enlightened and I feel no embarressment at asking it.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
PhilE, am disappointed by your post :sad:
Spot on. It may well be PhilE's "Time Of The Month" - he's normally quite personable if you live south of Birmingham. Perhaps he sensed a certain Yorkshireness from your handle - in which case you are in line for the type of abuse normally reserved for LLP and Adam. Even so, his post was crass - demand an apology!

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
I would likely invoke option 2 before I went to 3
TBH I think it would depend on the mood I was in, the nature of the game etc. Ie I could imagine myself giving either, but as the original kicker had already had it explained to him and did the same again I'd lean towards a scrum. :knuppel2:

.... thought I would re-assure myself with a quick question of my peers. Surely that is part of the purpose of this excellent web site - somewhere where without fear of ridicule we can be open about what we don't know?
It is. If I'm not clear on anything, this is the place to get it clear in your head before you take the field.

Last edited:

Accylad

Referees in England
Post Likes
a certain Yorkshireness from your handle

If I was disappointed with PhilE I am incandescent at the slur from you Dixie - I am from LANCASHIRE !!!!! :norc:

(Although I did live in Harrogate for 10 years and my son was born in Yorkshire I am definately of the red rose not the white.)

:biggrin: :biggrin:

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
I am definately (sic) of the red rose

See what I did there... No? Oh well.

But never mind, I'm only teasing. I would never hold their place of birth against anyone - though perhaps your parents could have tried harder, after all you can't have been born far from Yorkshire. Though there may have been circumstances beyond their control - never mind no-one's fault really. Just one of those unfortunate things.

Accylad

Referees in England
Post Likes
Thanks for pointing the error out Dave.

Not my fault of course. Awful education standards in Lancashire in the late 60's and 70's......

Will be scouring your future posts for any spelling or grammatical weaknesses from now on. :biggrin: