Penalty Try *and* penalty restart

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Last weekend, a senior referee described an incident where a defender led with knees as an attacker was in the act of scoring.

He couldn’t definitively determine whether the ball had been grounded, so gave the PT and restarted with a penalty to the attacking side on the halfway.

IMO, this was incorrect - my reading is that the only way you restart with a penalty on the halfway is if something happens *after* the try is scored, but couldn’t find anything on the spot in the laws to back my position.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I agree with you. The referee needs to decide if the offence is before or after the grounding. It can't be both

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
If the offence occurs before you have blown your whistle, deal with it there and then. That would be a card for me.

If the offence happens after you blow your whistle, then yes a penalty restart might be appropriate.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
If the offence occurs before you have blown your whistle, deal with it there and then. That would be a card for me.

If the offence happens after you blow your whistle, then yes a penalty restart might be appropriate.
Don't 100% agree because there is some nuance. If the grounding is completed and, while the referee is bring whistle to lips, there is foul play, then the try should be awarded and PK restart. The decision point is the grounding, not the blowing of whistle

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I agree with you. The referee needs to decide if the offence is before or after the grounding. It can't be both
Yes and in this case it appears that the offender was penalised twice for a single act of foul play.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Don't 100% agree because there is some nuance. If the grounding is completed and, while the referee is bring whistle to lips, there is foul play, then the try should be awarded and PK restart. The decision point is the grounding, not the blowing of whistle
That was my immediate reaction as well

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Seems off to me. Shenanigans happen in the build up, or even just after the try (if in doing so they stop the try happening in a better location). PT, 7 points, card as necessary, restart. I’d need to see something clearly after the PT incident before I’d consider restarting with a penalty.

One possibility is that the ref thought the foul play was a really dirty hit - in which case if it was that bad he always had the option to PT and then RC.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

There will always be grey areas, I was giving a rule of thumb.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I don't think that is a grey area TBH. was the foul play before the try was scored or afterwards. The whistle timing is irrelevant.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I don't think that is a grey area TBH. was the foul play before the try was scored or afterwards. The whistle timing is irrelevant.

Interestingly I can no longer find this scenario mentioned in the laws, I am guessing it has been moved to somewhere obscure. It used to be mentioned under Foul Play.

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Interestingly I can no longer find this scenario mentioned in the laws, I am guessing it has been moved to somewhere obscure. It used to be mentioned under Foul Play.
In the version of the laws prior to the simplification the mention of awarding a penalty at the place of restart after a dead ball was under foul play. 10.4n
There was no specific mention of after a try, just offences after a dead ball situation. The wording was not much different to what is in 20.1 as I quoted earlier.

Locke

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
In the table for Law 20.1 second item; play restarts with a PK where play would normally restart i.e. half way
I agree with you but I also noticed the 20.1 table references the restart’s “sanction line” which technically only applies to 22DO and GLDO. I think it’s just an instance of slightly imprecise wording…

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I agree with you but I also noticed the 20.1 table references the restart’s “sanction line” which technically only applies to 22DO and GLDO. I think it’s just an instance of slightly imprecise wording…

The second scenario only applies if you’re restarting with a drop out.
If play would have restarted with a drop-out, the mark is anywhere on the drop-out’s sanction line (non-offending team decides).

The first example covers a restart:
At the point where play would have restarted or, if that place is on the touchline or within 15 metres of it, the mark is on the 15-metre line, in line with that place.]

Locke

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
The second scenario only applies if you’re restarting with a drop out.
If play would have restarted with a drop-out, the mark is anywhere on the drop-out’s sanction line (non-offending team decides).

The first example covers a restart:
At the point where play would have restarted or, if that place is on the touchline or within 15 metres of it, the mark is on the 15-metre line, in line with that place.]
Fair call out. I suppose a restart kick after a score is a drop kick but not technically a “drop out”?

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
A re-start after a score is different from a re-start after foul play when the ball was already dead; in this case though they are in the same place.