Penalty Try

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I don't believe "foul play" is that ambiguous... It's anything covered by Law 10 (which includes dangerous play).
Not all foul play is equal. The IRB recognises that - it does not insist on a card for a "reactionary" high tackle.
Clarification 9 of 2004
If a penalty try is awarded as the result of a player unintentionally offending, the player, as well as being liable to cautioning and temporary suspension or send off, can be admonished by the referee.

Once againI think we have to interpret the laws sensibly rather than try to do so literally (and we cannot guarantee an agreed meaning anyway).

talbazar

Referees in Singapore
Post Likes
Not all foul play is equal. The IRB recognises that - it does not insist on a card for a "reactionary" high tackle.
Clarification 9 of 2004
If a penalty try is awarded as the result of a player unintentionally offending, the player, as well as being liable to cautioning and temporary suspension or send off, can be admonished by the referee.
I fully agree that all foul plays are no equal...
But the clarification you refer to leads to another question/debate: is there an expiration date on Law clarifications?
Because the wording of the law in the question by IRFU states "A penalty try must be awarded if the offence prevents a try that would probably otherwise have been scored."
The current wording of that law is different.

Once againI think we have to interpret the laws sensibly rather than try to do so literally (and we cannot guarantee an agreed meaning anyway).
Agree once again :)
But I can imagine a difficult conversation after the game with either a well educated coach or an assessor...