Penalty Try

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
No. Not even a PK. What in earth did he see?

Was a YC fished out? Foul play leading to a PT surely is bad enough that it has to be followed with a YC.

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
IMO, no I don't think that this was a PT. At the very worst it was a Penalty advantage for the tackle by #19 Red.

For me, take the foul play (the high tackle) out of the equation and then you have the ball carrier already tackled by red. Assuming this tackle wasn't completed then you have a defender sprinting across from the (left) wing who could have made the tackle. This is why I don't believe that a PT was correct in this instance.

But, as the Laws state, the referee is the sole of judge of fact on the field of play and he adjudged it a PT offence. FWIW I don't recall seeing the YC issued to the Red 19.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I can't even see a PK offense. I can only imagine the ref THOUGHT he saw a high tackle.
Meanwhile even if it WAS a PK offense - a PT? their's another tackler also tackling him, with a covering defender arriving at pace from the right

Critical error I'd say.

didds

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Strict application it is a penalty (arm ends up above the shoulder) PT? Not in a million years.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
On the 75th replaying of it all at best the red player manages is to end up with a hand over the right shoulder of the BC. I see no C&O contact with the head or neck.

That said, ref is yadda yadda yaddda etc so a PK fair enough .

But never ever a PT. Let alone if a PT it warranted at least a YC which apparently never materialised.

didds

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
On the 75th replaying of it all at best the red player manages is to end up with a hand over the right shoulder of the BC. I see no C&O contact with the head or neck.

That's all it needs:

Law 9.13

DANGEROUS PLAY

13. A player must not tackle an opponent early, late or dangerously. Dangerous tackling
includes, but is not limited to, tackling or attempting to tackle an opponent above the
line of the shoulders even if the tackle starts below the line of the shoulders.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Cheers Pegleg - I had in my head the thing about neck and head contact - not sure why.

I'll wager however that dozens if not hundreds of thus illegal tackles will be made next weekend all unpunished (not just "advantage played" or "non material" etc - just plain ignored). YMMV,....

didds

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
I agree. Many not seen but a number where the ref makes a judgement based on sense nd not the law book.