[7's/10's] Penalty

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Watching the Olympic 7s I was surprised to see players taking penalties by putting the ball on the ground and tapping it with the foot. Isn't that technically a place kick and therefore prohibited.

Any player may take a penalty or free kick awarded for an infringement with any kind of kick: punt, drop kick but not a place kick. The ball may be kicked with any part of the leg from below the knee to the toe but not with the heel.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
21.4.d

THAT'S what's bugging you about the 7s?
I thought the standard of refereeing was...um...sub optimal

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I thought the standard of refereeing was...um...sub optimal

have you got any video?

There is always a danger with affirmative action programs that long term gain will be preceded by short term pain.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
Isn't that technically a place kick and therefore prohibited.

As long as the ball moves, it's fine.

My understanding is that this law is to stop a team lining up a place kick then running up, tapping it and picking it up.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Watching the Olympic 7s I was surprised to see players taking penalties by putting the ball on the ground and tapping it with the foot. Isn't that technically a place kick and therefore prohibited.

Probably. Interesting point. From 7s variation:

[LAWS]21.3 How the penalty and free kicks are taken
(a) Any player may take a penalty or free kick awarded for an infringement with any kind of kick: punt, drop kick but not a place kick. The ball may be kicked with any part of the leg from below the knee to the toe but not with the heel.
[/LAWS]

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
the variation is intended to prohibit place kicking at goal. They wrote it clumsily so that, taken literally, it would prohibit what is perhaps the most common way of taking a PK at sevens!

but we know what they meant, even if it wasn't quite what they said

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
So it is legal and we still need to find a copy editor.

To answer Simon - sevens is what it is and the officiating is what it is, but this was a point where I might make myself look like a numptie, so it is worth getting right.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
A lot of the earlier matches were just... it felt like the referees knew they didn't have to bring their A+ game.

ARs getting number identification wrong from 50 yards away, flagging foul play that had happened in front of the referee.,
Forward passes given that weren't (Australia/USA) and blatant one not given (can't remember that game)
Mauls that go to ground being handled as tackles
Weird interpretations of the tackle
Inconsistent management of back foot
Inconsistent management of playing the 9 at the breakdown
One missed red card.
One missed PT.

It's not been truly horrendous - but this is meant to be the showcase event, and the refereeing isn't up to it.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I haven't watched many games, but I had a similar impression. I wondered if they had all been told : this is showcase game, don't keep blowing your whistle, and don't card anyone.

Is reffing at 7s handled by different folks at IRB from, say, the RWC

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I wondered if they had all been told : this is showcase game, don't keep blowing your whistle, and don't card anyone.
If so the referee in NZ v USA blew (it in both senses) by giving NZ a YC in the final few minutes when they were only 5-0 ahead.

I haven't seen many games, but they are giving PKs at the breakdown much faster than in 15s - which is no bad thing.

talbazar

Referees in Singapore
Post Likes
Is reffing at 7s handled by different folks at IRB from, say, the RWC

Yes, the guys and gals at Rio are from the HSBC Sevens World Series (HK, London, Dubai, Singapore etc...)
Even though, Craig Joubert is in the Panel since he came back to 7's.

They've worked towards Rio for the whole year (Since the Series started in December 2015 in Dubai. And the selection was done from the best performers on the series.

I haven't seen many games, but they are giving PKs at the breakdown much faster than in 15s - which is no bad thing.

Sevens Ref'ing is really different from 15's at the breakdown:
- Advantage is a lot shorter
- Sometimes the best advantage is a quick penalty
- More tackle-only situations
- etc...

The most difficult thing I find when ref'ing 7's is the "materiality vs. advantage" balance...
To illustrate that, at 3 PK against the same team you start thinking YC, so potentially, you're aiming at 5 PK a game max...
It's a different game for sure... I wasn't a good 7's player... I'm not sure I'm that a good 7's ref :confused:

Pierre.

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
(THAT'S what's bugging you about the 7s?
I thought the standard of refereeing was...um...sub optimal[/QUOTE]

Notwithstanding the different nature of 7s I have to agree that the level has been a little disappointing.

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
If so the referee in NZ v USA blew (it in both senses) by giving NZ a YC in the final few minutes when they were only 5-0 ahead.

So are you saying that USA should have had the penalty try?

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
It was a viable sell, yes

Like the missed USA red card against Aus

Fatboy_Ginge

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Oh don't get him started on that one.
Essentially a US player cocked up a tackle against Aus resulting in a clash of heads. USA Rugby Referees on Facebook are ALL over it alleging dangerous play ( High tackle, leading with the head etc etc.),

I tried to explain that it is unfortunately a rugby incident. only to be flamed by one or two individuals who seem to think they know better than an international standard referee. AR, TMO and the whole disciplinary committee.

Link to the incident video is here... https://www.facebook.com/Rugby0ffload/videos/847830228681426/

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
Watching the USA against Argentina and I'm inclined to agree with what others have said about the quality of the refereeing.

More "interesting" calls in 15 minutes than I'd normally expect over a weekend!

At least he didn't penalise Argentina when white 11 jumped into him trying to claim a restart...

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
Along similar lines to the OP, I've seen players taking a tap by keeping their foot on the ground and bouncing the ball off it. Not seen that one before and not sure if it's illegal or not - I wouldn't call it a kick, though it would seem a silly thing to ping someone for.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Along similar lines to the OP, I've seen players taking a tap by keeping their foot on the ground and bouncing the ball off it. Not seen that one before and not sure if it's illegal or not - I wouldn't call it a kick, though it would seem a silly thing to ping someone for.

Any thoughts?

that's an interesting one. I have never seen that.

I think I wouldn't penalise it, but neither would I allow it: In other words I'd make him take the kick again.