[7's/10's] Penalty

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
- he's doing something very unusual
- arguably it's legal, arguably it's not legal, depending upon how you read the Laws
- if you think it's illegal then yes I agree the sanction is a scrum

- for me - because it's ambiguous, I think that the first time you see it, the best management, all things considered, is to call him back and take it properly. YMMV

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
If a player, with feet planted on the ground, bounces the ball off his foot without moving said foot, he is just asking to cock it up and have the ball shoot off at some weird angle. Unless he has a new spin on the condition of "flat feet":wink:

I'll be a jobsworth. I would say that he hasn't kicked the ball, therefore he has failed to take the kick correctly and it is a scrum to the opposition. He deserves to lose the ball for being a dick.

Heard one the other day from a guy who played quite a few years ago and is now helping to coach a senior team.
He asked if it would get pulled up if one of his players did the following;
Ball is kicked by opposition (red) and his fullback (green) runs back into his own in-goal to retrieve the ball with one or more red players chasing. Green FB wins the race with time to spare, picks the ball up, looks at oppo players and then appears to dot the ball down (he actually dots the ball down onto the top of his boot and doesn't actually touch the ground). As red players stop and turn, green FB races off down field.
I told him I would pull green FB up and award a green 22m DO.
"But he didn't touch the ground with the ball?"
I say, "If I am running following the players and see him "dot" the ball down, I'm blowing for a 22m DO. He can argue all he likes, he is not getting any sympathy from me just because he's a smart-arse".

Paule23

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Law Reference ? Because I don't think this is an obvious infringement.

For me the Laws as written doesn't really cover this very well. Hence my approach.

Sorry, I was moving away from the exact scenario in the thread and talking about an incorrectly taken tap in 15s.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Sorry, I was moving away from the exact scenario in the thread and talking about an incorrectly taken tap in 15s.

The question is not about how to deal with an incorrectly taken PK. The question is whether it was incorrectly taken

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
It used to be that intent played a bigger role in rugby than it does now. Originally a player had to play the ball intentionally into 22 to be taken back, but that has morphed into any contact (intentional or otherwise) is regarded as taken back.

Likewise into touch and into in-goal.

I would allow a ball dropped onto boot as a kick and play on.