Phone Tax

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
Apparently, in UK we are all about to be charged 50p per week tax for each phone line that we have coming into the house, ostensibly to pay for the extension of the internet to rural areas.

Regardless of the reason being sold for the tax, in reality this is just another Gordon Brown stealth tax, probably to have something in hand for the next round of bankers' bonuses.

You may wish to contribute your signature to the petition below?

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/scrap50pphonetax/

Agustin

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Regardless of the reason being sold for the tax, in reality this is just another Gordon Brown stealth tax, probably to have something in hand for the next round of bankers' bonuses.

What makes you say that? Is it general cynicism or do you know something particular to the situation? Or are you against all tax increases?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Hypothecated taxes don't work. The money goes into the general fund and there is no check that it was used for the stated purpose. In this case I would cynically expect the tax to continue well after we all had broadband.

Having broadband widely available seems to me to be a Good Thing. Whether this is a sensible way to pay for it seems dubious. I suppose I could look up the cost estimates and also find out how much this tax would raise, but I don't think I'll bother.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Also, broadband delivery will be done by British Telecom, a private company, as it is their lines that enter the property off the street. I'm told that much of the trunking is now fibre optic, but its the copper wires going into homes that slows the whole thing down.

How much of our 50p will Gordo dare to hand over to an unpopular monopoly provider so it can dig up yet more of our roads?

Greg Collins

Referees in England
Post Likes
In what way is this a 'stealth' tax? It is about as stealthy as a traction engine.

Agustin

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
The money goes into the general fund and there is no check that it was used for the stated purpose.

Wouldn't you know if the rural internet infrastructure has been installed?

However it does seem that the tax is misguided. If the aim is to increase communication infrastructure in the country it seems counter-productive to increase taxes on communication equipment.

(I'm not suggesting Gordon Brown is honest, dishonest, or anything. Obviously as an outsider I do not fully understand what's going on, just what I read in the "World" section of the newspaper here and what little I catch from the BBC every once in a while.)

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
Wouldn't you know if the rural internet infrastructure has been installed?

However it does seem that the tax is misguided. If the aim is to increase communication infrastructure in the country it seems counter-productive to increase taxes on communication equipment.

(I'm not suggesting Gordon Brown is honest, honest, or anything like honest. Obviously as an outsider I fully understand what's an absolute pig's ear he is making of things, I can't believe what I read in the "World" section of the newspaper here and what I catch from the BBC everyday.)

Fixed that for you:)

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Get your damned money out you tightwads, this is my broadband we are talking about improving, and it needs it!:cool:

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
Get your damned money out you tightwads, this is my broadband we are talking about improving, and it needs it!:cool:

You will be wanting a post office, green fields and a bus service next!

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
It's when the Manic's put on weight, no?

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
I used have a computer made of 32 bits of a bus...