[Law] Physio - gives walkie talkie to player at Break down

vimpe22

Referees in Sri Lanka
Post Likes
During a breakdown while an early injured player is being treated the Physio hands over the comms to the player who is given instructions by the captain.

Referee issues a yellow to player and warns Physio .

This may be not in the spirit of the game.

Was the yellow right . Time 26 m half one .Scores very close.

Under what law or regulation or TZ protocol is this covered,,

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
During a breakdown while an early injured player is being treated the Physio hands over the comms to the player who is given instructions by the captain.

Referee issues a yellow to player and warns Physio .

This may be not in the spirit of the game.

Was the yellow right . Time 26 m half one .Scores very close.

Under what law or regulation or TZ protocol is this covered,,

I've never seen anything like that happen and the only law I know that covers it is 10.4 (m) - Acts contrary to good sportsmanship.

Personally, I think the YC was harsh, but the union may be having a problem with this sort of thing and want to clamp down on it, in which case I'd say it's fair enough.

If it happened in one of my games, I'd probably just restart with a penalty and a talking to.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Bottoim line I guess its the tuhin end of the wedge. Is there a difference from using a walie-talkie instead of shouted instructioins from the touchline, instructiions via a water boy (ie a member of the coaching staff) etc?

In the end once it become "permitted" everyone will be doing it.

didds

vimpe22

Referees in Sri Lanka
Post Likes
Thank your doc y and didds .i too was of the view that the YC was harsh. Should have been managed.

Does law 4.4 (i) give any direction to conclude : if you cannot wear com devices you cannot get hand over a comm device. If this becomes a practice then it may lead to issues. The Physio has a particular role and full,stop.
A player must not wear communication devices within that player’s clothing or attached to the body.

Also 6A5 . Deals with who may enter the playing field . Will the walkie talkie be an indirect entry.
(f)
The coaches may enter the playing area at half-time to attend to their teams.

Last edited:

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Could be considered interfering with play.[LAWS]6.C.2 Those who may enter the playing area
In the case of injury, only the match doctor and/or the non-playing members of the team who are medically trained (only qualified Doctors or Physiotherapists) may enter the playing area while play continues.
The other non-playing members of the team may enter the playing area while play continues, provided they have permission from the referee. Otherwise, they enter only when the ball is dead. Such persons must not obstruct, interfere or make any comments to the match officials.[/LAWS]

VM75

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Could be considered interfering with play.[LAWS]6.C.2 Those who may enter the playing area
In the case of injury, only the match doctor and/or the non-playing members of the team who are medically trained (only qualified Doctors or Physiotherapists) may enter the playing area while play continues.
The other non-playing members of the team may enter the playing area while play continues, provided they have permission from the referee. Otherwise, they enter only when the ball is dead. Such persons must not obstruct, interfere or make any comments to the match officials.[/LAWS]

The main problem is ... by the time you see it, the player has already had his instructions from the coach.

maybe a better question is, How do you ensure it doesn't reoccur? [waterboy comms is above my pay grade so i'll let others suggest