Pitch advice

Chogan

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
My match on Saturday was played on what I would describe as a gluey pitch. It was clearly flagged, marked and a good covering of grass but the grass could have done with a trim. This combined to make the surface quite heavy.

My issue is that when used to decent tracks that take a stud but also give plenty of grip, are there any tips as to how to adapt to a pitch that has an adverse affect on your agility and ability to get in and out to the BD?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Work harder?

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Short steps, especially when turning, when you're on a straight line you'll be ok

On your toes as well, don't plant your heel when turning as your weight will naturally come down harder

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Think about your footwear - get the long studs in.

Stuartg

Referees in England
Post Likes
I reffed on a pitch yesterday which probably made yours look like the outfield at Lords. The only grass left was between the 5m and the touchline. At one time I passed a family of hippos near the halfway line and just spotted them in time as they surfaced. At half time a team of rice coolies came on to plant the next crop. For one attack I ran to and fro on the try line because it was faster and drier land.

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Am I the only one who hasn't a clue what this post means?
It is pitch advice, as requested by your thread title. But baseball pitch advice rather than rugby.

Stuartg

Referees in England
Post Likes
It is pitch advice, as requested by your thread title. But baseball pitch advice rather than rugby.

Many thans. Understand the context now - and that's the limit of my desire to understand.

Chogan

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Some helpful, thank you.
Some less so, :eek:fftopic: but still amusing.

I was thinking more alone the lines of maybe not getting in tight so often but spotting the ball is still paramount.
Stay wide as there might be a lot of traffic between the ruck and 10 channel.
Be very concious of front running the play as you (the ref) are having footing issues the players will be in the same boat, so attack could be slow and gain-line success limited.