[In-goal] PK through dead ball/TIG

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Out of curiosity. With your passionate view on this how do you discuss this with a referee who has given the lineout to the wrong (ie attacking) team?
My usual approach: I ask the referee to review the incident and how he came to his decision. (That does not always mean I disagree with it.)

If he knew the Ruling and had a reason why he decided it did not apply, I would naturally be sympathetic.

If he didn't know the Ruling, I would mention it and explain why I thought it was absurd.

I would be unlikely to include it in my report, but would use it as an opportunity to raise the issue with the appropriate people, asking if it was still supposed to apply, and rehearsing my criticism of it.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
If he knew the Ruling and had a reason why he decided it did not apply, I would naturally be sympathetic.

If he didn't know the Ruling, I would mention it and explain why I thought it was absurd.

I'm not sure what level of referees you coach/assess/mentor/etc. But I wonder about the appropriateness of editorialising the laws and/or clarifications that you don't like in what is effectively a teacher/student relationship.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I'm not sure what level of referees you coach/assess/mentor/etc. But I wonder about the appropriateness of editorialising the laws and/or clarifications that you don't like in what is effectively a teacher/student relationship.
I think it is important to be prepared to discuss such issues rather than just rubber stamp everything.

Thunderhorse1986

Referees in England
Post Likes
Thanks for clarification. Glad it has also generated further (albeit slightly off topic) debate.

A follow up question to the "exceptions" to the ball being kicked through the in-goal for kicks at goal and drop kicks... why is this exception in place? I can remember it being that way for as long as I have played and now refereed...but why bother having it? Why not give the option of the 22 drop out or the scrum from where the kick was taken to the defending side for all kicks... possible implications:
1) Fewer long range speculative penalty kicks at goal (the downside of missing would be higher than at present)
2) Fewer speculative drop goals (as above)
3) More kicks to the corner (instead of kicking for goal from difficult angles/distances)
4) More tries, fewer penalties (apparently what a number of new law variations/trials have been attempting for many years)

Would love to hear people's thoughts on this idea...

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
are you thinking about the pro game or community game ?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
A follow up question to the "exceptions" to the ball being kicked through the in-goal for kicks at goal and drop kicks... why is this exception in place? I can remember it being that way for as long as I have played and now refereed...but why bother having it?
A penalty is a punishment for a significant breach of the laws. Offering the option in case of a miss makes it more attractive to risk a penalty.

Personally I would rescind the exception for an attempted drop goal.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Would love to hear people's thoughts on this idea...

It kind of went the other way.

Back in the day the only outcome for any kick that went dead was a 22 drop out. So a speculative punt in general play from half way was a good option for the kicking team. It put the defenders under pressure if the ball stopped in or near in-goal or gave them back possession from a 22 if they overcooked the kick.

To dissuade this action, the scrum back option was introduced for the situation where the kick was in general play. I agree with OB.. regarding a missed drop goal restart.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
OB..;310319 There is an absurd Ruling that if a kick at goal hits a post and goes into touch said:
happened in the Wallabies v Argentina Test on Saturday night. Nigel & Wayne made the right decision regarding the restart.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
happened in the Wallabies v Argentina Test on Saturday night. Nigel & Wayne made the right decision regarding the restart.
The "right" decision being ...?