Player Diving On The Ball

BillBu

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
If the ball is moving along the ground and a player dives on it, does the opposition have to allow the player to get back onto his feet with the ball?

I cant find anything in the laws which state this explicitely but its something you hear of all the time?

A tackle hasn't taken place so as soon as a the opposition touches the player on the ground thats a tackle?

Thanks

Bill

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
14.2 for starters...then you can look into dangerous/foul play...I'm sure there's reference to it more than a few times in lotg..

BillBu

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
those pages must have been stuck together :Looser: :swet: :D

Cheers folks

//Edit

There seems to be nothing to prevent the opposition staying on thier feet trying to get the ball therefore stopping the player getting up. And if the player who went down for the ball holds on it should be a penalty for playing the ball on the floor as they must release get up or pass the ball.

Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Interesting stuff :)

PaulDG

Referees in England
Post Likes
There seems to be nothing to prevent the opposition staying on thier feet trying to get the ball therefore stopping the player getting up. And if the player who went down for the ball holds on it should be a penalty for playing the ball on the floor as they must release get up or pass the ball.

Please correct me if i'm wrong.

You're not wrong.

Though if the opposition player doesn't stay on his feet but instead dives onto the player on the ground then the penalty is against him (the opposition player).

wolfie

Referees in England
Post Likes
I was explained it as "players on there feet are king" if a player on his feet wants the ball then the player on the floor must release it or risk getting penalised.

I have heard many discussions over 14.1 and 14.2 some people interpreting it as you must let the player with the ball get up, but I don't see it that way.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
The law makes it clear what the obligations of each player are. It does not afford the player on the ground any protection or rights outside of those contained in the obligations of the arriving player (namely, don't dive on the man on the ground.)

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
"Let him up" = Urban Myth. Our Southern Hemisphere colleagues are astounded at how often this piece of wisdom requires comment on here - apparantly, they never hear this whinge down south.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I heard it again today at an "international" U16 match. The coaches were shouting it at the ref. Fortunately he (a) could not hear them; and (b) knew better.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
"Let him up" = Urban Myth. Our Southern Hemisphere colleagues are astounded at how often this piece of wisdom requires comment on here - apparantly, they never hear this whinge down south.

Very true - never heard it here.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I have heard it at my last 3 matches, "you've got to let him up", "no you haven't" I mutter under my breath. Obligingly the arriving player usually does allow him up, before tackling him.

Mind you yesterday I also heard "its not gone 10m Sir"............from a 22m drop out!

The umpire

Referees in England
Post Likes
I heard it again today at an "international" U16 match. The coaches were shouting it at the ref. Fortunately he (a) could not hear them; and (b) knew better.

I heard Alan Lewis shout it in the Glasgow/Toulouse HC match on Friday night!

Cymro

Facebook Member
Post Likes
and Stuart Barnes :eek: used in his review of a penalty decision in one of this weekend's HC games. "ah yes I can see now he didn't let him up.. penalty correct decision" when actually the penalty was for player arriving and going off his feet. Can't remember which game but I only watched the Scarlets/, Ospreys & Blues games, and it wasn't the Blues one :))

Does anyone know how to Sky+ a game that's on the red button ??

PaulDG

Referees in England
Post Likes
and Stuart Barnes :eek: used in his review of a penalty decision in one of this weekend's HC games. "ah yes I can see now he didn't let him up.. penalty correct decision" when actually the penalty was for player arriving and going off his feet.

Well at least Stuart Barnes isn't employed to be right in these matters - just "interesting" for viewers.

Unlike Alan Lewis and Tony Spreadbury (who used to often say this and the dreaded "double movement"...)

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Does anyone know how to Sky+ a game that's on the red button ??
I think you have to do it in real time - i.e. access the red button programme, press "record", and then (I think) navigate away for the Missus to watch Strictly, followed by X Factor, followed by Extra Factor, followed by X-Factor results, leaving you free to watch the rugby at about 2 am.

I am not aware that there is any emchanism to do it ahead of time

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Well at least Stuart Barnes isn't employed to be right in these matters - just "interesting" for viewers.

Unlike Alan Lewis and Tony Spreadbury (who used to often say this and the dreaded "double movement"...)

Spreaders and David McHugh are the guest speakers at our Society Dinner in December. I wonder if they will do a "any questions"?

wolfie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Why can't they make a law that say's:

"A player that has any part of his body on the ground except his feet is out of the game and must play no part in the game until he is back on his feet and in an on-side position" or words to that affect."

I am probably missing something obvious by making that statement but wouldn't it clear up the problem.

gillburt

Referees in England
Post Likes
I wonder how many of the TV "analysts" have been on ELRA....

I would welcome it if TV companies employed active referees for proper interpretation of decisions (i.e. why given, NOT whether or not it was the right decision)

But then... I suppose the TV companies would just try to raise the temperature by getting the TV ref to say the pitch ref was wrong... hmmm... forget I said anything. :Zip:

Pablo

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I wonder how many of the TV "analysts" have been on ELRA....

I would welcome it if TV companies employed active referees for proper interpretation of decisions (i.e. why given, NOT whether or not it was the right decision)

But then... I suppose the TV companies would just try to raise the temperature by getting the TV ref to say the pitch ref was wrong... hmmm... forget I said anything. :Zip:

The RFU must almost certainly forbid an active referee from punditry - as you state, it's an open invitation for the ref on pitch to be undermined by a peer... who may well end up on the receiving end the following week!

What's noticeable, however, is that there are no retired refs on the punditry circuit. One can't help but think that Steve Lander or Ed Morrison would bring substantial insight to a commentary team, and disabuse them of our "favourite" :)mad:) myths, such as double movement, "let him up", etc., etc.

Does anybody have any idea why no former top refs have gone down the TV path?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Does anybody have any idea why no former top refs have gone down the TV path?

Probably because, apart from law knowledge, they're as boring as bat shit*

* not sure why bat shit is so boring, but it is.