[Line out] Player exchange lineout formation

CampbelT

Referees in Spain
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
In a lineout situation before the ball is thrown, is it possible that the receiver gets in the lineout and another player of the lineout goes out and get the receiver position?

19.8(K) states that participating players in a lineaout may change places before the ball is thrown.

But are the receivers part of the lineout? Or only the players in the line to contest the ball are in the lineout?

Best

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
It is in the definitions

Players taking part in the lineout known as participating players. Players taking part in the lineout are the player who throws-in and an immediate opponent, the two players waiting to receive the ball from the lineout and the lineout players.

So yes they may change places, but you must have ONE receiver. If the receiver comes into the line, someone must drop out to be receiver and vice versa.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
So yes they may change places, but you can only have ONE receiver. If the receiver comes into the line, someone must drop out to be receiver and vice versa.
FTFY.

(You don't HAVE to have a receiver.)

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
So for clarity, if as OB points out you do not HAVE to have a receiver, can a team set up a thrower, a set of "jumpers" [yes - not all of them will typically jump! ] and a receiver... and before the throw occurs the receiver step into the line and nobody step out?

(I'm not sure that I'd coach a side of mine at the moment to do this FTR - if only because of the risk of knock backs/flaps having nobody to clear up!)

didds

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
If a team does this, I'd lean on 19.8(e), as the defending side must have an opportunity to match the now-changed numbers.

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
So for clarity, if as OB points out you do not HAVE to have a receiver, can a team set up a thrower, a set of "jumpers" [yes - not all of them will typically jump! ] and a receiver... and before the throw occurs the receiver step into the line and nobody step out?

(I'm not sure that I'd coach a side of mine at the moment to do this FTR - if only because of the risk of knock backs/flaps having nobody to clear up!)

didds

No. If the throwing team want to insert the receiver without swapping with another lineout player, they mast do so after the throw.

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
If a team does this, I'd lean on 19.8(e), as the defending side must have an opportunity to match the now-changed numbers.

Agreed. 19.8(e) must refer to Lineout Players, rather than Participating Players.

But I would further lean on 19.8(d), in that the ex-Receiver did not approach the line of touch without delay, and not allow the change in numbers.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Agreed. 19.8(e) must refer to Lineout Players, rather than Participating Players.

But I would further lean on 19.8(d), in that the ex-Receiver did not approach the line of touch without delay, and not allow the change in numbers.

but that would also exclude him from swapping with another line out player that drops out to take his place? because the receiver that entered had not approached the lineout without delay in that regard?

And this is allowable (see others' posts above)

didds

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
smeagol said:

19..8 (i) Where the receiver must stand. If a team uses a receiver , then that player , must be
positioned at least 2m back from team mates in the lineout , and between the 5m and 15m
lines , until the lineout begins.
Once the lineout has commenced , the receiver may move into the lineout and may perform
all actions available to players in the lineout and is liable to related sanctions.

No need, at this point to allow the non-throwing side to equalise numbers. Their receiver MAY follow the other one in but they don't have to nor, logically does the referee have to allow them time to do so. It would be physically impossible to do so!

Last edited:

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

19..8 (i) Where the receiver must stand. If a team uses a receiver , then that player , must be
positioned at least 2m back from team mates in the lineout , and between the 5m and 15m
lines , until the lineout begins.
Once the lineout has commenced , the receiver may move into the lineout and may perform
all actions available to players in the lineout and is liable to related sanctions.

No need, at this point to allow the non-throwing side to equalise numbers. Their receiver MAY follow the other one in but they don't have to nor, logically does the referee have to allow them time to do so. It would be physically impossible to do so!

The post I was replying to was asking if the receiver could enter before the throw. Once the ball is mid-air, then the receiver can join without a swap.

VM75

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I'd bet, that when the thinning of the Laws takes place, these all get filed into the 'historical' archives

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I'd bet, that when the thinning of the Laws takes place, these all get filed into the 'historical' archives

are you thinking that when the thinning happens it might just be a free-for-all - no numbers, join, leave, rejoin as players wish? Or it might be the opposite - 7 players from each team, 1 receiver, no chinese fire drill, etc

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
The messiest lineouts I see - albeit at older youth age groups these days - are the standard seven man, jump at 2 and 4 historical type, as all the oppo defenders are in place for where the ball alights. Chinese fire drills make lineouts far less messy on the whole. IME.

didds