Player gets 50-year ban after attack

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
A Switzerland-based amateur footballer has been banned for 50 years after kicking a ball in the referee's face and spraying him with water.
Portugal Futebol Clube defender Ricardo Ferreira has already served a 45-game ban for assaulting opposition players.
"I had expected one or two years maximum. But 50 years? Football's my life," Ferreira, 28, said.
The fourth-tier league's lawyer Robert Breiter said: "We do not want such a player in our league."
Speaking to Swiss newspaper Blick (in German), (external) Breiter continued: "Unfortunately we encounter such cases about once a year."
Ferreira had been an unused substitute in his team's match against SC Worb in the Bern league when he attacked the referee after the final whistle.
Ferreira will be free to return to footballing activity on 5 June 2064, by which time he will be 78.

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
As could beding down to get his boots on!

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
A 50 year ban is a bit meaningless isn't it? Why not just ban him for life and be done with it.

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
European law.
Tou can't give whole life sentences.

- - - Updated - - -

European law.
Tou can't give whole life sentences.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
what the UK have had to change (I think I am right here) is the old practice of judges giving 'at her majesties plesure' which led to home secetaries having the power to decide who should serve whole-life and who should get out.
as a result of interventions from europe it's now (I think , quite rightly) a wholly judicial process with judges passing sentences and parole boards and the like performing reviews. Not politicians.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
what the UK have had to change (I think I am right here) is the old practice of judges giving 'at her majesties plesure' which led to home secetaries having the power to decide who should serve whole-life and who should get out.
as a result of interventions from europe it's now (I think , quite rightly) a wholly judicial process with judges passing sentences and parole boards and the like performing reviews. Not politicians.

As if 'politicians' cant influence parole board decisions :sarc:

Chris Huhne served a mammoth 8 weeks of his 8 month 'ptcoj' sentence .

PS... "Life" can mean as 'little' as 7 years in the UK.