[Ruck] Player still part of the ruck - picks up ball

pombok

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
In the buildup to Duane Vermeulen's try on the weekend where The Beast made a break through a ruck, should he (Beast) not have been penalised for hands in the ruck?

A ruck had formed, he was part of it and was bound. He then lost his footing and went to ground but the ball was still in the ruck. From my understanding of the definition the ruck was not over, unless you consider that the ball had clearly been won by the Springboks.

Beast did get back on his feet, was not completely in front of the ball but I'm not convinced that the ruck was over...or was it?

https://youtu.be/7B6nx-MThaw?t=103

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
bit like an england pick and go from some while ago (Hughes) ?

The focus then was whether he was i front of the ball when he picked it up or not, not whether the ruck was over or not (ISTR).

anyone recall that ?

didds

Last edited:

pombok

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
My thinking is that if you are part of the ruck, you are part of that same ruck until it is over or you unbind and enter again from behind the last man's feet. The ruck isn't over just because everyone has fallen to the ground, the ruck is over when the ball is out or has clearly been won. IMHO :biggrin:

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
Part of the problem with one man rucks!

I thought it looked a bit strange at the time (and there were several other similar cases throughout the game) but even on the replay I'd struggle to say it was C & O.

But to reiterate what others have said: the key is whether the picker up is in front of the ball or not.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
My thinking is that if you are part of the ruck, you are part of that same ruck until it is over or you unbind and enter again from behind the last man's feet. The ruck isn't over just because everyone has fallen to the ground, the ruck is over when the ball is out or has clearly been won. IMHO :biggrin:

Yes - I agree.

Except that's not how its reffed at the elite end clearly....

didds

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
It happened in the England v France U20 game.
Ruck goes to ground no one on their feet.
Blue player stands up in the middle of the ruck with the ball at his feet, player all around him on the ground.
He picks up the ball and runs off, referee plays on.

pombok

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
It happened in the England v France U20 game.
Ruck goes to ground no one on their feet.
Blue player stands up in the middle of the ruck with the ball at his feet, player all around him on the ground.
He picks up the ball and runs off, referee plays on.

Contest for possession over then? If so then the ruck is finished and anyone behind the ball can pick it up?

'tis a fine line. Probably get an opinion on it in the bar afterwards either way.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Contest for possession over then? If so then the ruck is finished

That's not the law definition of how a ruck ends. It was not clearly won by either side.

Christy

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
play on for me ,, he got back to his feet & was behind the ball .
green 9 behind him , was not part of any new ruck formed . so he cant be off side by his own team mate
he also uncontested from opposition .

the game has to continue ...doesnt it ??
if ball not playable we could look at scrum team moving forward .
if he on floor & played ball , we could look at penalty .
but for me it was neither ,, & he was behind ball .

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
If he was part of the ruck and goes to groound , he must roll away, get to his feet, retire to behind the hindmost feet and can then rejoin play.
The 2017 laws might have told us where those lines are when there are no longer any players on their feet - but the 2018 law book removed that for clarity.