Players back 10m

gillburt

Referees in England
Post Likes
Had a senior match today (friendly), very boring to ref - one side played like frikkin' idiots and were totally outclassed by the opposition (80-odd nil in the the end)

Anyway, to the point....
My management style - which I explain to capts, SH etc. before the game is that I won't call every ruck, every maul, every lineout over, every "ball out of scrum", lines straight etc... I'm there to ref, not be a TV commentor, they are there to play. I won't get into the situation where they claim they did something because they'd previously relied on me to hold their hands. Obviously at lower ages I do more preventative stuff (before you ask!)

So....
Green (the side who ran out the winners) were awarded penalty (irrelevant what for)
Purple (the muppets) go back what they think is 10m (it happens to be OK too)
A purple greek chorus then chirps up behind me "ref, are we back 10m?"

I was dealing with the opp. player taking the penalty (not a kick at goal) at the time (chatting to him about something I'd seen him do that I didn't like). I turn and tell them I am speaking to the opposition player and please wait.

The greek chorus just gets louder, their capt. tells his players to shut up, greek chorus keeps going. But, behaving like little children they want my attention, and they want it now.

On reflection I "gave up" on them at that point, they were being trounced and not listening - and beyond sending about 6 of them off and making a mockery of the game to which I would be blamed, I just decided that nothing I could do would change their behaviour so they deserved the trouncing - i.e the punishment was to stay on the pitch!

I did ATP, used cards, called capts over, etc.etc.. but felt I was on a hiding to nothing and it was just one of those nightmare games that I daresay we all get.

It really was a mismatch at all levels.... how have others coped in these situations?

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
My management style - which I explain to capts, SH etc. before the game is that I won't call every ruck, every maul, every lineout over, every "ball out of scrum", lines straight etc... I'm there to ref, not be a TV commentor, they are there to play.

My one liner at this point is that 'I don't make your tactical decisions for you, you make your own'.

The greek chorus just gets louder, their capt. tells his players to shut up, greek chorus keeps going. But, behaving like little children they want my attention, and they want it now.

If I am asked early in the game if players are back far enough then I will state that if they are not 10, I will ask them to move back. If players then persist in asking me subsequently then I make a point of asking them to go back 'another couple of metres please' until someone wises up.

Last edited:

Greg Collins

Referees in England
Post Likes
what Deeps says. in fact I learnt it from him "Are we 10 sir" "No get back" "Are we ten now sir" "No keep going!" Don't even turn and face them just shout it!

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
The other repost is "If you've got to ask, you know you're not so keep going back"

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
'Give me a couple more please lads', normally without looking.

Or if there is a line it amazing how often that line is exactly 10 ms away. i.e on the 5 please.

Emmet Murphy

Referees in England
Post Likes
I will have a look and identify a player who I'm happy is back ten and then tell the others to get alongside him. Nine times out of ten I think those sorts of queries are genuine.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I ask the TJs pre-game to mark the 10 at penalties. Then, if there's a query, I ask them to stand in line with TJs.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I really don't care if the 10m query is genuine or not. You have other things to be dealing with, so they need to make their own decision. Nobody is going to quibble about a few centimetres. Of course you might then be inclined to remind them (once) if their idea of 10m is more like 10 ft ...

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
I ask the TJs pre-game to mark the 10 at penalties. Then, if there's a query, I ask them to stand in line with TJs.

I do too and to mark the 10s at lineouts and the 5s at the scrum but can you rely on non appointed TJs!

What I tend to say at the pre match brief to #10s is that my hand going up at the lineout indicates the lineout is still in play and they are to hold their backs at that point. However I tell them that the 5 metres gap at the scrum is their responsibility as I am far too busy looking at safety aspects at the scrum, however, not to let me catch them out. Seems to work in most cases.

Emmet Murphy

Referees in England
Post Likes
I really don't care if the 10m query is genuine or not. You have other things to be dealing with, so they need to make their own decision. Nobody is going to quibble about a few centimetres. Of course you might then be inclined to remind them (once) if their idea of 10m is more like 10 ft ...
By the time they have retreated to a sensible distance you should have already done your secondary signal, verbal explanation, made the mark and moved away etc. I'm not sure if there is too much else for you to do before the non-offending side take the kick and it only takes a split second to look and give them a thumbs-up - but anyway, my point was more along the lines that, imho, it is slightly rude and disrespectful to keep telling them to go back beyond 10m if you're actually happy they have already covered that distance. If you don't want them to ask and you want them to do the measurements themselves - tell them that.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
I ask the TJ's to flag where the ball went into touch, and to indicate who's throw-in it is. After 15 minutes, it usually becomes plain that these tasks are beyond the delegated and reluctant official.

ex-lucy

Referees in England
Post Likes
gillburt .. sounds like they were trying to wind you up .. having lost the game they have decided to see if they can get the ref to 'lose it' ..
dont.
remain calm
dont let the *******s get you down .. to their level.
smile ... think "oh you cheeky monkeys ..."
imagine them standing there all naked .... no, sorry, wrong forum.