Players don't cheat......

Mike Whittaker

Referees in England
Post Likes
One of the very first games I refereed, after having played for a number of years at the social level, but having pored over the law book. The game was a 6th XV and many of the players knew me well.....

Player A. "May I leave the pitch to get some tape round my hand?"
Captain ,"We'll wait for him?"
Me, "He may leave and we will continue to play"
Player B (old prop in same team, collapsing on ground) "Ow! Sorry ref, touch of cramp!!"
Me, "We'll see to that then..."
Player B, "Thanks ref.... (30 secs later) .... all better now... and he has his tape so we should be OK to continue!"
Me, "Thanks for the lesson gentlemen...." :eek:

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
lol, the joys of lower teams and vets rugby, where the game remains to be, 100% social!

madref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Hi

Up here in the North we now have 11 divisions for lower league Rugby from teams like Macclesfields 2nds in Premiership down to Leigh 6th team in Division 5E. Quite funny last year we had Preston Grasshoppers 3rds and Preston Casuals (Vets who do not train social rugby) both in the last 4 of the cup competition! They didn't play each other something to do with warm and cold balls I reckon lol

The rugby has improved and the games are more meaningful and a good training ground for referees like myself who are trying to climb up the grades. You get that league atmosphere from your first society appointment.

Now back to the point we have a couple of ex internationals playing in these leagues and it is so funny watching a new ref (happened to me last year) being played by these players. On of the guys I used to watch on TV when I was a nipper!

Funny story one of these players at the bar afterwards saying. Did you see how I got away with that in the scrum new ref didn't see it and it worked a treat. 3 weeks later I got them again in a cup match, second scrum blow free kick.

Afterwards in the Bar you have improved Dave in three weeks how did you spot that in the scrum he said I know you played there yourself. I just said must have been lucky this week as I missed it first time you played.

David

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
If I think one team is trying to wind down the clock with "probable" injuries that should not be ignored lightly I anounce to both teams that we will take a moment to assess the situation AND THE CLOCK IS STOPPED. Advise captain of suspicions and next stage is ignoring apparent injuries to none critical players. Difficult to know for sure what is going on but try to be fair to BOTH teams in the situation.