Players going past the ball at breakdown

Gracie

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Is this really allowed? Watching this WC I'm struck by the way the southern hemisphere teams in particular go past the ball at the breakdown. In part this is the tactic of flopping over the breakdown to stop the opposition competing, but all too often it involves running round in front of the breakdown both at the tackle and all oo often when it seems the ruck had formed. I was always taught that the arriving players should arrive and form the pillars; watching this WC players arriving don't from pillars they just run round in front like an American blocker. What am I missing?

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Scotland for 40 years?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I have no problem with players driving an oppoent off the ball, even if they drive that opponent past the breakdown

I DO have a problem with players runing past the breakdown to engage and drive an opponent away.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I have no problem with players driving an oppoent off the ball, even if they drive that opponent past the breakdown

I DO have a problem with players runing past the breakdown to engage and drive an opponent away.
Agreed.

But of course there is no offside line until the breakdown becomes a ruck or maul, so players can go past the breakdown if they wish as long as they don't enter it from the wrong direction, or fail to retire when a ruck/maul forms.

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Agreed.

But of course there is no offside line until the breakdown becomes a ruck or maul, so players can go past the breakdown if they wish as long as they don't enter it from the wrong direction, or fail to retire when a ruck/maul forms.

...and as long as they don't engage opposition players and drive them backwards, of course.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Agreed.

Or obstruct opponents wishing to play the ball:

[LAWS]10.1(d) Blocking the ball. A player must not intentionally move or stand in a position that prevents an opponent from playing the ball.
Sanction: Penalty kick[/LAWS]