Player's view of referees (or Alan Quinlan's anyway!)

baftabill

Post Likes
I think Dixie is spot on. I wouldn't say it to his face (!) but Quinlan comes across like a big kid. It's not fair! I should have cheated better! Poite doesn't like us! He told me to stop doing annoying things on the field before I'd done them, that's not fair!

Good insight into the mind of some players though

Mat 04

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I'm so glad that Dixie has typed out exactly how I was feeling about the article.

The only thing "interesting" about it, in my opinion, is the responses it has got from some of you guys!

Essentially, its another dig at referees.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I disagree.

It's an interesting insight into how the psychology plays out at that level

It prompted interesting discussion around the psychology of man management (see: Bryan's models).

You're saying that you don't think about these things?

Thomond78

Player or Coach
Post Likes
I suspect it was the "Quinny" as much as the "calm down" that had the desired effect. The recognition and acknowledgement of the player rather than instruction to calm down.
Imaging if the ref just said "red 6, calm down", or even just pointed and said "calm down"
Outside the rugby field "You. Calm down" is almost invarialbly followed by "F*** O**"
....and agree with Ian Cook...very interesting article.

I think you're right, there; a, "Quinny, calm down and cop on" would probably get a sheepish, "Sorry, ref, I'm not acting the maggot, just tell me what to do!"

And the problem would end there.

My own experience, at a vastly lower level, was that refs who could have a giggle while letting you know if you crossed the boundaries they'd hammer you made for the best games, for all concerned.

Not least because there is nothing more certain to drive players mental faster than someone whose job is to be a facilitator for a game telling the other thirty people on the pitch that, "This is my pitch, not yours" (and a virtual chocolate fish for the first person to recognise the quotation, btw).

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I think you're right, there; a, "Quinny, calm down and cop on" would probably get a sheepish, "Sorry, ref, I'm not acting the maggot, just tell me what to do!"

And the problem would end there.

My own experience, at a vastly lower level, was that refs who could have a giggle while letting you know if you crossed the boundaries they'd hammer you made for the best games, for all concerned.

Not least because there is nothing more certain to drive players mental faster than someone whose job is to be a facilitator for a game telling the other thirty people on the pitch that, "This is my pitch, not yours" (and a virtual chocolate fish for the first person to recognise the quotation, btw).

Any minute now, Ian_Cook's head will start to melt and he won't know why.
You're quoting Poite. Ian likes to recount an Antipodean referee who referred to everything in the game - ball, pitch, match - using the first person possessive.

Mat 04

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
You're quoting Poite. Ian likes to recount an Antipodean referee who referred to everything in the game - ball, pitch, match - using the first person possessive.

You sure? I thought he was talking about Matt Goddard.....

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
You sure? I thought he was talking about Matt Goddard.....

No, Matt Goddard once said "I will make this game faster" after giving out a 3rd YC in the space of 6 minutes.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

face-melt.jpg

Now which movie was that from?

matt_goddard_gallery__560x400-420x0.jpg

That would be Matt "You're slowing down my ball" Goddard; the only Super 14 referee ever to score a Bonus Point in a match!!!

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
If it isn't, that should be from the denouement of Indiana Jones 1, when the Holy Spirit goes after those bad German fellows