Pop quiz: how many weeks' suspension do you think this got?

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/sp...iders-game-for-high-tackle/20120820-gzsj.html

The title does not exactly do the video justice; this is slightly more interesting than just another high tackle.

The interesting bit starts at 1:30, there's a bit of handbags before that but 1:30 is where it gets tasty.

Simple question, no cheating and peeking at Google to find out what actually happened because Minichiello's already had his date with the judiciary. How long do you think the suspension was that he got, and how much would you expect him to get? If you happen to know the answer already, please keep it to yourselves.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
If he got any more than two weeks, I'll be amazed.

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
I'd give him 3 weeks. NRL probably will give him 1.

TNT88

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Got to be a send off, deliberate foul play. He clearly wasn't interested in the rugby game anymore.

As for a suspension. It's dangerous play that had little effect. 3 weeks seems appropriate but I agree he'll probably get off with very little.

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Note - I have zero involvement in disciplinary system beyond sending the occasional person off. This is just an amateur's attempt to apply the regs, and it's obviously the wrong code.

If that was classed as a low end offence, entry point is 2 weeks. Use of elbow would lead me to class it as mid range and therefore apply entry point of 6 weeks.

No aggravating factors I'm aware of, and judging by Anasta's reaction he is normally a good lad so I would assume he'd be entitled to the full reduction of mitigating factors.

Therefore if this were union he'd either get 1 or 3 weeks.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Anasta would've followed him if I'd been reffing. :biggrin:

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
Huh?

This is my favourite Braith Anasta moment

A good reason to adopt penalty reversal in RL?

WTF I don't really care what the laws say, I am reversing that penalty (or more likely just not awarding the one against the Roosters). Surely even in league that is a send off offence?

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Lee - I agree that Anasta is a bit of a tool, but that doesn't mean he isn't capable of pointing out someone else is a good bloke. The commentators appear to agree too.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Anasta would've followed him if I'd been reffing. :biggrin:

Exactly what I was thinking.

It's RL isn't it, so he probably got slapped on the wrist and told not to be a naughty boy.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
1st attempt for and RL tackle wasn't really as bad as it looked, the second forearm to the face was however I assume he got maybe 2 matcheds for that. 1 match if he was a Super league player in England or 8 matches if he was a Barrow Raider!!

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
The correct answer, in case anyone cares, is 0; which pretty much sums up why I wouldn't watch the NRL regularly even if I could.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Mitigating factor was what? He got off, or deemed as send off sufficient?

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Bloody ridiculous. to think you can dangerously knock someone senseless and come out of it unscathed because of a technicality in the charge. Shows you how interested NRL are in protecting their players.

Though it is reported that Dugan was soon charged after that hearing for using his head to strike Minichellos arm...he stands to be suspended at a hearing date to be determined. :sarc::sarc::sarc:

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
Mitigating factor was what? He got off, or deemed as send off sufficient?

The problem appears to have been that they charged him with intentionally making contact with the head, and then his brief somehow argued that there wasn't any intent there; this combined with the important mitigating factor of "being Anthony Minichiello".

His counsel James McLeod successfully argued that his client's actions were not strong enough to warrant a striking offence, where deliberate intent has to be proven.
"I have played the game a long time and never been sent off, " Minichiello told the hearing.
"I am a fair player and truly believe it wasn't reckless, it was careless on my behalf.
"I tried to make a wrapping tackle on Dugan, I was braced for a collision as he left arm was up for a fend."

And if you believe that, then I have a very nice bridge to sell you at a bargain price.

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Bloody ridiculous. to think you can dangerously knock someone senseless and come out of it unscathed because of a technicality in the charge.

I remember being a tribunal delegate and getting one of our players off because the charge said he punched a bloke with his left hand, and we proved it had to be his right

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
i presume he only had one hand, and therefore the rest of the testimony was called into question?

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
I remember being a tribunal delegate and getting one of our players off because the charge said he punched a bloke with his left hand, and we proved it had to be his right

I trust the technical win was worth it.

If the bloke actually did throw the punch then I would expect the player's clubs to take some unilateral action against him anyway - that would certainly be the attitude at my own club, and is also my experience when I have red carded a player from other clubs. The only time I've known this not to happen is where the club believes that the ref was wrong, and no RC offence was committed. I have also known instances where the ref got the wrong player, and the club concerned had then acted unilaterally against the real offender and defended the not-guilty player.

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
laudable aim, but i doubt my club would follow that lead.