Position of elbow at the scrum

Taffy

Referees in England
Post Likes
Trying to work out if the loose heads arm is not straight at the bind and the elbow pointing downwards very clearly, does that mean the bind is not good? A prop yesterday was trying to convince me that he had difficulty straightening his arm........you truly could not make it up sometimes..........

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Get the binds long and high, and keep them there.
If short,you want to see the elbow out parallel to ground.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Long, straight binds sound nice but they are not so easy to achieve. Try this:

Stand with your back to a wall, heels and head touching the wall. Now reach up and touch the wall with your hands with your elbows straight. This is an approximation of the long bind.

Yes, of course, you skinny, yoga practicing, need-I-say-what-your-jersey-number-is types are saying "What's the problem?".

The meat-eaters built for the front row (I said back to the wall, Bubba) don't have a problem touching the wall behind their heads (elbows bent) and this is the approximation of a short bind.

So Taffy, if this guy has a "traditional" build he may well have a valid point. Especially if has a little gray around the edges.

Taffy, don't worry to much about the LH bind. The real issue is the bind and elbow position of the TH. Keep his bind off the arm (armpit is OK with me) and his elbow up level with his shoulder and you'll have fewer problems.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Good post. The direction of the bind is far, more important.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I think you need to distinguish between a flex in the elbow and a very definite "V".

A bit like Muralitharan ...

didds

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Bent elbow horizontal = legal
Bent elbow vertical = can only pull down therefore illegal.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Bent elbow vertical = can only pull down therefore illegal.

'IF' he C&O pulls downward then fine-penalise, but it isn't exactly easy to avoid having a bent elbow due to a) Opponents positioning, b) stretchy shirts !

Don't lose empathy for our props, our code proudly welcomes of 'all shapes and sizes' & we need the chunky brigade.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Agreed Browner. I should have stated a prop choosing to the bend the arm downwards. If you are forced there then we have other factors coming into the equation.

I will never lose empathy for my brothers in the "chunky brigade".