Positioning at the scrum

Wolrabs

ELRA/Club Referee
Post Likes
On TV, I see the referees standing behind the SH which in my mind means they can't see what is going on.

In my ELRA, I was told to stand in the SH position and then when I was happy with the scrum to move away and let the SH in.

When I have done this, I have been criticised (mainly by the coaches) for stopping or blocking the SH.

Where should I be positioned? I prefer to be where the SH should be with them behind me.

Thanks.

Sean

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I stand in the middle for the first couple of scrums, then move to one side, if all is going well.
I tell them at the brief, when I am happy the scrums are going to behave and not wander all over the pitch, I will move away and let you stand in the middle, but if the scrums aren't stable, then I will stand back in the middle and prevent the put in until the scrum stops playing come dancing.

Its up to them.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Wolrabs, I think that you need to take control at your level, which means standing exactly where you do. What you really need is a response to the criticism. I would suggest the following:

Mr Coach, you'll know that law 20.1(j) requires that the scrum must be stationary and the middle line must be perpendicular to the touchline before the ball goes in. When I am confident that this is the case, I enable your scrum half to put the ball in; were I to do as you suggest, there would probably be a lot a Free Kicks against your team under 20.1(j), which is not really in the best interests of the game in general and your team in particular.

talbazar

Referees in Singapore
Post Likes
I generally stand just on the right shoulder of the SH putting in:
- I'm tall (6'1) so I can see about everything on the scrum
- I've got a view on the feed
- I don't prevent quick feed or movement from both SH

Now I agree with Dixie: if I'm not happy with the stability (or anything else) in the scrum, I will take the position in front of the SH to ensure stability... I just tend to assume at first that players want to play...

Cheers,
Pierre.