Positioning -newish trend

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Not until the ball gets kicked into the back of your head.

The only time I've seen this happen - Mr Thomas may have been there - was at Alton when the referee adopted the approved position for the start of the second half, and got the switched kick into the side of his head.
KO before he hit the ground.

The pithy observation from the Big Kahuna Assessor was "that's the best thing he's done all game"

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
without ARs I move closer to the 10m on kick offs/restarts. with ARs I go where I need to go and often change it up while communicating and based on previous kicks/strategy. the clipboards have yet to say a word...guess it's how well you communicate and get the job done.

there's no way you can see better when you are on a 3/4 to full sprint vs moving quickly into a position, settling and watching. also, the bs about us not being able to see players in front of kickers is just that...if we cannot detect that then there is no way we could manage two back lines at a lineout.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
the bs about us not being able to see players in front of kickers is just that...if we cannot detect that then there is no way we could manage two back lines at a lineout.

Look at their feet and listen for boot hitting ball. Same like a baseball umpire does.

Nigib

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Not until the ball gets kicked into the back of your head.

It doesn't if you stand in the right place :)
I've always stood between half way and 10, looking along to the attacking players. This enables me to see anyone over the line before the ball goes. I can also see the kicker (yes, Menace, stand far enough away). Check with kicker if not clear where they are going, stand back if the intent is to disguise the kick in some way. Otherwise, added advantage that the players see me looking directly at them so know I can see any transgression. Even had an 'advisor' once telling me he had never seen that positioning before, and thought it was a great idea as I surely could see far more than stuck on the line with the kicker. Which is why I do it, and as preventative management. And I'm in the camp generally of it doesn't matter where you position yourself, as long as you can see what's happening.

Nigib

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I don't ask my ARs to stand anywhere. I tell them what I want them to look for and trust them to know what is the best position to see that from.
Someone asked if there was specific direction for us to move to predominantly in the zipper. Not as far as I remember. We spoke about spending more time at the back and trusting ARs to manage the front, so that we could get a better picture of what the back lifter was doing (and what was being done to him) and being able to accurately determine when people went over the 15m line. The move to zipper from offset is just preference as far as I'm aware.

That's really interesting to know Jacko - I had also noticed the trend, so frequently in televised matches that I thought it had to be an enforced edict from on high

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
The only time I've seen this happen - Mr Thomas may have been there - was at Alton when the referee adopted the approved position for the start of the second half, and got the switched kick into the side of his head.
KO before he hit the ground.

The pithy observation from the Big Kahuna Assessor was "that's the best thing he's done all game"

Indeed I was there, cup semi final Basingstoke and Mr Mortimore Society Appts Sec and ex Panel TJ and Basingstoke club member took over the whistle and did a great job.

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
the referee adopted the approved position for the start of the second half, and got the switched kick into the side of his head.

Had just one of those -but at least I asked the kicker to tell me if I was going to be in the way :wtf:

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Just being a lazy bar steward :biggrin:

& I thought I was getting 7m closer to the first forearm smash being delivered , we're not all blessed with watching kickers who can hang it long enough.

As an aside, I recall an away match in Gloucestershire where one of our 2nd Rows got knocked unconscious 'before' the ball had landed from the match kick off ! !