possible tip tackle

The umpire

Referees in England
Post Likes
Yesterday's Times (England) Sports section, article on Cockerill illustrated on p17 with a photo. OK,it's only a still, which we know can be misleading, but, would you have chosen this one?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
No idea, I don't read the Times!

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
And only subscribers could see the still, even if you provided a link (which you didn't).

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
That does not look anything like a tip tackle to me.

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
BC with one leg above the horizontal, one leg well below, foot just off the ground; tackler about 30° from the horizontal holding the BC around the (well-padded) thighs; BC about to hit the ground face down with his elbow held at shoulder height.

Very hard from one image to state that it was a tip tackle; it looks to me more like the BC having all but broken through the tackle, taking the tackler down with his impetus.

Edit: it's a clearer image below than in hard copy!!

Last edited:

The umpire

Referees in England
Post Likes
Sorry, I forgot it was behind a paywall. I hope it is attached to this post.
tip.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

As I said, stills can be deceptive, but this one could still go either way...

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
No lift, no turn, no drop or drive

Good tackle

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Well, BC's legs will have been taken through horizontal before he hits the ground and will land on his shoulder. Seems to meet requirments for a tip tackle.

This is from ARU guideleines:

[LAWS]Lifting tackles that place players in danger of injury must have serious consequences. The onus is on
the tackler to complete the tackle safely. Dropping or throwing tackled players once they are in a
dangerous position is to be strongly sanctioned.
• Any time a tackled player's legs are lifted above horizontal it should result in a yellow card as a
minimum.
• If the tackled player is lifted and lands on his shoulder or head area it should result in a red card. A
tackled player placing a hand down at the last second to stop a 'head or shoulder area landing' should
not influence this sanction.[/LAWS]

I also think the spectator with the form guide should be behind the ropes.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
It's impossible to tell from a still photograph, so this whole conversation is speculative.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Well, BC's legs will have been taken through horizontal before he hits the ground and will land on his shoulder. Seems to meet requirments for a tip tackle.
For me a tip tackle has to start with a deliberate lift from a virtually stationary position. Other forms of tackle may end up with the player going past horizontal simply because of the dynamics, and this looks like one of those.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
For me a tip tackle has to start with a deliberate lift from a virtually stationary position. Other forms of tackle may end up with the player going past horizontal simply because of the dynamics, and this looks like one of those.

I didn't respond to Dickie's post because I thought he was taking the piss.

The laws specifically talk about "lifting tackles" and this doesn't look like one from the still shown

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes

The laws specifically talk about "lifting tackles" and this doesn't look like one from the still shown

I hope he was - otherwise it explains why that rubbish sevens game is being promoted so much - thats all the players that will be on the park after 5 minutes

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

[LAWS] Any time a tackled player's legs are lifted above horizontal it should result in a yellow card as a
minimum.[/LAWS]

If a tackle occurs around the body I can see that legs may go past horizontal incidentally.

However, if a tackle occurs around the legs and the legs go through horizontal I don't how they can do that any other way except by a lift.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
[LAWS] Any time a tackled player's legs are lifted above horizontal it should result in a yellow card as a
minimum.[/LAWS]
I don't seem to be able to find that in the Laws.

If a tackle occurs around the body I can see that legs may go past horizontal incidentally.

However, if a tackle occurs around the legs and the legs go through horizontal I don't how they can do that any other way except by a lift.
Unusual but not impossible.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
[LAWS] However, if a tackle occurs around the legs and the legs go through horizontal I don't how they can do that any other way except by a lift.

Unusual but not impossible.
Head-on tackle in the centres, ball carrier travelling at relatively low speed. Defender gets low, hits with shoulder to thigh and wraps, and then immediately drops to one knee. BC falls forward. Tackler twists slightly, still wrapped around BC's thighs. BC hits deck back-first with legs "above hoirizontal" at tackler's shoulder height - i.e. about 60cm off the floor.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
ARU game management guidelines
Where I find this:
• Lifting tackles that place players in danger of injury must have serious consequences. The onus is onthe tackler to complete the tackle safely. Dropping or throwing tackled players once they are in a
dangerous position is to be strongly sanctioned.
• Any time a tackled player's legs are lifted above horizontal it should result in a yellow card as a
minimum.
• If the tackled player is lifted and lands on his shoulder or head area it should result in a red card. A
tackled player placing a hand down at the last second to stop a 'head or shoulder area landing' should
not influence this sanction.

These paragraphs are in red presumably to make them stand out from the surrounding black text. To me it is clear that the paragraph you quoted related only to lifting tackles ie tackles where the lift is a deliberate action - the hallmark of a tip tackle.

If you have been told differently I would simply be grateful that I do not have to apply them.

If in pedant mode I would point out that in this case, only one of the player's legs is past the horizontal.