[Law] Pre match briefings

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
I don't know if it's the same for anyone else, but since I've started refereeing I've had very little guidance when it comes to pre match briefings.

About all I've ever had is the odd assessor who's listened in and maybe given a few words of feedback and the only time I ever get to hear other referees' PMBs is on the odd occasion I'm ARing (and not always then), so I thought it would be a good discussion.

I can only remember one from when I was playing (and that was just the ref coming in to say scrums were uncontested - and the 8 couldn't pick up!).

Personally, I like to keep it as short as possible (on the assumption that they probably aren't listening anyway). I'll find out who the captain is, then I'll let them know things I do that might be unusual, how I'll handle any adverse conditions (usually lots of water or mud) and anything applicable that's come up in a society meeting or a recent big game. Then any questions.

I'd be interested to hear what anyone else does.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
You do, of course, do a front row briefing, don't you?

I'll let them know things I do that might be unusual
do tell

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
You do, of course, do a front row briefing, don't you?

do tell

Nothing exciting - usually just that I don't like blowing my whistle unless I really have to and that I'm not going to be the one slowing the game down (apparently those are both a rarity around here). If a coach (or even an advisor) have commented that I'm strict in a particular area recently (and I think they might have a point) I might mention it. I'm reluctant to give my own opinion on my strictness though, in case I don't back it up!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
mine is quick and it's just items where different refs do it differently -- so I hope it is actually useful information for them, and not a lesson in my refereeing philosophy.

- how I mark line-outs [because different refs do it differently]
- when the ball is out at a ruck [because different refs do it differently]
- I'll hold my arm up at a lineout to say stay 10m back [because not all refs do this, and if I don't mention they sometimes ask]
- must take your quick taps properly [because some refs are kind enough to give a second chance, but I'm not going to]
- I will be using C-B-S at scrums, and they must bind properly [blah blah blah, but we've been told we must say this]

If we are starting uncontested I'll tell them (but I'll tell them again properly at the first scrum)

To the captains
- agree how many subs/exchanges are allowed [because once bitten by this, twice shy!]
- don't ask me a question about the PK I just gave if the oppo are taking a quick tap

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
- I'll hold my arm up at a lineout to say stay 10m back [because not all refs do this, and if I don't mention they sometimes ask]

I actually make a point of not mentioning things they might ask about (it's been uncontested mauls at lineouts this season). They're all usually listening if someone asks a question and it shortens the whole thing if they don't ask.

I think I will include something about quick taps after the recent discussion on here :)

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
mine is quick and it's just items where different refs do it differently -- so I hope it is actually useful information for them, and not a lesson in my refereeing philosophy.

- how I mark line-outs [because different refs do it differently]
- when the ball is out at a ruck [because different refs do it differently]
- must take your quick taps properly [because some refs are kind enough to give a second chance, but I'm not going to]
- I will be using C-B-S at scrums, and they must bind properly [blah blah blah, but we've been told we must say this]

If we are starting uncontested I'll tell them (but I'll tell them again properly at the first scrum)

To the captains
- agree how many subs/exchanges are allowed [because once bitten by this, twice shy!]
- don't ask me a question about the PK I just gave if the oppo are taking a quick tap
That is pretty well what I usually hear, with the addition to captains "Discipline is your responsibility. If I have to get involved you may wish I hadn't"

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Nothing exciting - usually just that I don't like blowing my whistle unless I really have to and that I'm not going to be the one slowing the game down (apparently those are both a rarity around here). If a coach (or even an advisor) have commented that I'm strict in a particular area recently (and I think they might have a point) I might mention it. I'm reluctant to give my own opinion on my strictness though, in case I don't back it up!
Nothing wrong with that, but just be careful how you say it to them or they will think they've been given a free pass to disregard the laws of the game, which could result in messy rucks / scrums, and foul play.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
Nothing wrong with that, but just be careful how you say it to them or they will think they've been given a free pass to disregard the laws of the game, which could result in messy rucks / scrums, and foul play.

Yes, I was being a bit flippant - I go on to say that I'll be shouting at them a lot and it's in their interests to listen to me.

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
Mine is: (Virtually word for word)
FR: English today, so Crouch Bind Set. Set up to the left of the mark.
SH: Put in on my tap, or if on the far side, I point down. Straight enough so either team can hook.
SH: FK and PK - in front of me, or behind the 8 at a scrum.
#10: Back 10 at the LO, and 5 at the scrum. Control the backs - you take the PKs.

Cap (separate): you control your team, so I don't have to. PKs against - get the 10, happy to repeat signals if possible. Not interested in chat at that point. Can talk when time off, or end of game.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Pretty much what FF says.

I watch a lot of new(ish) referees, and see a lot common things that can/should be avoided.

1. Making lots of "I" statements; the PMB is chance to set out expectations for the players. It shouldn't be about explaining what you're doing.
2. Don't talk to the whole team. Just...don't.
3. Avoid making yourself look like an overly autocratic fool with no sense of the game. If, for example, you are refereeing a D1 College (over here) don't tell them to avoid high tackles. You look like a dick and you will have zero credibility.
4. Protracted discussions about what to do or not do at each phase of the game is silly. (See points 2 and 3). Nothing you say right now will undo what they've been coached. Also, they're not really listening to the detail of what you're saying. At some stage, they phase out.

Short, sharp, to the point, and done. You look like a referee who a) knows what he's talking about b) understands the game, them, and the point of the PMB and c) has set good expectations for everyone.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
I speak to all the players and it works for me. In fact many coaches will ask: "Do you want to speak the my team now?". One thing however, Don't have players standing behind you whether you speak to all or just a few. They'll take the mick.

By speaking to all, everyone knows where you are coming from. and the FR / SH can't say they were not told something.

Keep it short and factual. Avoid Q & A. But at the end of the day find a way that works for you there is no "one size fits all".

liversedge

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Try to keep mine short, can do it in under a minute. Always just get everyone in, since end with studs. usually make a point to be the one talking into the sun.

TACKLE/RUCK
1. "I don't expect you to read my mind" .. will call for release if on the ball illegally (off feet, side entry, not releasing etc)
2. "if I'm talking at every ruck I'll soon just go straight to my whistle" .. but will warn you first if you're pushing it.
3. "when the ball is off the ground the ball is out, hands on is not out"
4. "if in doubt, just ask me, if I shout play on the ball is out"

MAUL
1. "I call every maul, if I don't shout maul it isn't one"
2. "I will shout tackle-only if I think there is doubt and to let you know to get off the ball when it goes to ground"

LINEOUT
1. "I mark the defending side, if its your throw-in you set the gap."
2. "Fly-half?, I will look at you to set the 10m look for my thumbs up."
3. "I will hold my arm up until the lineout is over"

SCRUM
1. "Look for square and stable, ball in when you are still"
2. "Looking for an air gap, ear to ear, on bind"
3. "FR players talk to me, if you are not comfortable just say, we will reset"

GENERAL
1. "Its a league/cup/important game, I respect that and want this to be a great game, I'm happy to field questions when the ball is dead, but lets keep it through captain if we can and recognise that at PK/FK situations its not the time."
2. "Any questions?" (someone always asks a Q that was just explained e.g. when is the ball out)
3. Lets check the studs.
4. "HAVE A GREAT GAME GUYS, WILL LET YOU KNOW WHEN ITS 5MINS TO KO."

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
2. Don't talk to the whole team. Just...don't.
I played 6 years in the USA (76-79 and 88-91) and don't remember ever being in on a referee briefing.
I have been playing in England since 1949 and talking to the whole team has only fairly recently become quite common. Only do it if you have something useful to say, based on your experience. This may well be necessary when there have been significant law changes - early on most players will be ignorant or vague about them.

Christy

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Some of the briefs seem quite long.
I do mine to whole team whilst checking studs.
Ill call captain over.
In front of capt & whole team , in a very pleasant maner ill say following.

Any talks between team & my self will be through captain.
Come to me in a respectfull manner & we can discuss your queries .

Forwards .
The scrum for me is all about stability
Ill say crouch ( ill go to bind when we have stability )
Ill say bind ( ill go to set when we have stability )
Ill say set ( ill give 9 ok to put ball in when we have stability )

Lads enjoy game.
Ill see you again at kick off for toss coin by captains.

If somebody want to ask a question , ill leave to them to ask.
Otherwise ill walk to other team & do same.

Advice ive been given ,,is dont look to set out stall about off feet ,,,no side entry etc etc etc.
As they wont realy listen ,,
Our job is to ref a game
Its their coaches job to coach players about rules of game.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Cap (separate): you control your team, so I don't have to. PKs against - get the 10, happy to repeat signals if possible. Not interested in chat at that point. Can talk when time off, or end of game.

I do this at the toss when I have both captains together. Also tell them what colour I will be calling each team

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I played 6 years in the USA (76-79 and 88-91) and don't remember ever being in on a referee briefing.
I have been playing in England since 1949 and talking to the whole team has only fairly recently become quite common. Only do it if you have something useful to say, based on your experience. This may well be necessary when there have been significant law changes - early on most players will be ignorant or vague about them.

i have a referee in my society who does this. Uniformly, the feedback I get back about him starts with his brief. And not in a good way.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Girls...
our home, our school... our sanctuary, has been violated...
and not in a good way.

St Trinian's 2: The Legend of Fritton's Gold

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Liversedge, if a team is throwing into a lineout in their own half do you really mark just the defending side? :)

I tend to mark both, but I referee juniors and girls and it is easier to have a mark than not when the players are less experienced.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
i have a referee in my society who does this. Uniformly, the feedback I get back about him starts with his brief. And not in a good way.
Are you saying the players in the USA are better informed than players over here? Not my experience.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
Are you saying the players in the USA are better informed than players over here? Not my experience.

Maybe if PMBs are a rarity there, it's more because they have one at all?

Simon, I'd be interested to hear the reasoning behind not giving one to the whole team - I'd not heard that before. Who are you talking to if not the whole team?