Pre Match Plan & Post Match Report?

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
I would be interested to know how many people actually do these?

I have been doing post match reports on myself for a few seasons now and find them invaluable, but the big key is making sure you review them all about every month to see what trends are developing, or to see how you are doing at addressing a certain trend.

The Pre Match report I shall be doing this season, it's basically a written way to prepare yourself mentally for the game ahead, what you plan to achieve (i.e. being at the break down first, ensuring I call a players number & colour before I instruct them to do something, etc...). All the SR Referees and Australian A Panel are doing them this year, and talking to Andy Cole it seems to be a really helpful process, the post game report can also be used to reflect on if you achieved your planned objectives.

I will put some forms in the Wiki for people to use very soon.

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
I'm quite happy to share my action plans (MAPs) if they are of interest, though note that they are very specific to MY needs.

Similarly, I'm also happy sharing post-match reviews that I have done personally. I can also make template forms available. Given that most of the matches are online, the keen ones would look at the action plan, watch the video, and then look at outcomes.

This really isnt rocket science, but for those who dont know where to go it's probably a good start.

Note that most of the matches are at the international level or are through IRB sanctioned tournaments and events (or leading up to them), though I'm sure most of the stuff would be useful at any level (in my case I have nowhere to hide; the video doesnt lie!).

Robert Burns

Staff member
Post Likes
Are yours the official ones?

I made mine up a while ago before all this started, I'd like to make one that suits everyone instead of specific unions, so if you could post or email me your template that would be very helpful.

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Are yours the official ones?

Define "Official"? The ones I use were drafted from the NZRU Air New Zealand Cup ones, and then modified from there. However, the only thing Union based are the logos and can be deleted!

The form itself is very generic.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Does "run around enough to work up a decent thirst" count as a goal?

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
robbie and bryan...yes - please share....

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
we do some work in the SRRS dev squad with one of our guys that's now a pannel ref (hoping for Champ next season), our only problem is the lack of matches that get recorded.

setting goals befor e the match does work and i do try and pick on 2-3 main points mainly from previous assessments (but this year there's been a lack of those, but that's another story!), so if i'm without an assessment for a few weeks i'll try and think of my own. These can be based on knowledge of the teams i'm reffin and also from reading their match reports, trying to look for trends in their play. However a team that likes to throw it around goes out the window if it's lashing down on Sat afternoon, likewise a team that likes to keep it tight because of a big pack, may have to change things if you get a dry sunny day.

We did go through a process of self assessment but i have to admit to letting that slip in the last season.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
.... setting goals before the match does work and i do try and pick on 2-3 main points mainly from previous assessments ....
I think you've hit it bang on the head if a ref wants to improve. I used to concentrate on the law, but after couple of poor games I just concentrated on the points for improvement in my assessments. I'm glad to say it works a treat - these days the good games far outweigh the poor ones.

Robert Burns

Staff member
Post Likes
Define "Official"? The ones I use were drafted from the NZRU Air New Zealand Cup ones, and then modified from there. However, the only thing Union based are the logos and can be deleted!The form itself is very generic.

That's where they started, so will be really good. Could you email it to me please.

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Here we go.

1. Generic Action Plan View attachment 01-Jan-2013 Black v Red Action Plan - Mr Referee.doc

2. Generic Stats and Match Analysis (Tab 1) and Scrums Analysis (Tab 2) View attachment 01-Jan-2013 Stats and Scrums Example.xls

3. Generic Self Review with Referee Coach using IRB template View attachment 01-Jan-2013 Self Review Example.doc

4. Generic AR Action Plan (Not just for referees!) View attachment 02-Jan-2013 Red v Blue AR Action Plan - AReferee1.doc

5. Generic 7s Self Review using IRB template View attachment 7s Referee Self Analysis - Blue v White 03-Jan-2013.doc

6. Combined PDF of my own Action Plan, Stats, and Review from a seminal match (E for Experience) from 2009. View attachment 12-Sep-09 Bears v Blues Review & Stats - Arciero.pdf

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I do a GMR every week and do a review each Sunday. My pre-game ones are pretty short, generally only a sentence or two, but my reviews are a few pages long.

I find they are great to do, especially if you are wanting to improve and move up the panels.