[Law] Preventative Refereeing

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
We all try to minimise the whistle blowing and 'manage' penalisable offences through appropriate communication before they become an issue.....
" Ruck....no hands" . ..
"Stop 14....ahead of kicker"
Etc, etc.

How much communication is too much?
Where should we draw the line in relation to keeping the penalty count down?

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
We all try to minimise the whistle blowing and 'manage' penalisable offences through appropriate communication before they become an issue.....
" Ruck....no hands" . ..
"Stop 14....ahead of kicker"
Etc, etc.

How much communication is too much?
Where should we draw the line in relation to keeping the penalty count down?

I’m a big believer in it, probably because I coached kids as my route into reffing, some advisors hate it, I genuinely believe the players (L7,8,9 for me) appreciate it.

I had one Friday night, penalised colts team, jackler was too late onto the ball and I’d called ‘green release’, fair enough he didn’t hear it, but his team mates had, instantly back 10, no grumbles, and a ‘fair dos’ acknowledgment from the penalised player. Ok, it didn’t prevent the penalty this time, but it instantly removed a perceived injustice as I was trying to help and kept the tone of the game positive.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
There are some offences where the player's view differs from that of the referee eg offside position after a kick.

I am all in favour of issuing warnings to try and keep the game going, but if you keep having to do it, issue a blanket warning to the team and then start penalising such offences.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
There are some offences where the player's view differs from that of the referee eg offside position after a kick.

I am all in favour of issuing warnings to try and keep the game going, but if you keep having to do it, issue a blanket warning to the team and then start penalising such offences.

Agree, one thing I've been guilty of and called out for is shouting 'back foot' repeatedly or similar, eventually you have to ping if they aren't responding else it is just white noise

buff

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Speak when you want to change a behaviour. If nobody is infringing, don't say anything. If you call "No hands" or "Roll away" at every ruck/tackle, the players will tune you out.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Speak when you want to change a behaviour. If nobody is infringing, don't say anything. If you call "No hands" or "Roll away" at every ruck/tackle, the players will tune you out.

Agree, that's part of my bad habits, up to and including U14 in RFU land you have shout Tackle Release, and expected to guide more by communicating what you're seeing so they can respond accordingly, sometimes that habit (I do a lot of age grade games) ends up in my Adult games but trying to work it out

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Agree, one thing I've been guilty of and called out for is shouting 'back foot' repeatedly or similar, eventually you have to ping if they aren't responding else it is just white noise

maybe shouting 'back foot' isn't an active command. The player thinks he's onside so the ref must be talking to someone else. Try instead 'Green 5, take a step'

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
maybe shouting 'back foot' isn't an active command. The player thinks he's onside so the ref must be talking to someone else. Try instead 'Green 5, take a step'

Actually I normally do, if I have the time and information to do so, at repeated pick and goes on the 5 I can’t always get that many syllables out! Interestingly, I noticed that at least one of the international refs (SH think, possibly had a Lions Test?) uses the phrase ‘last foot’ which seemed odd to me

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
it's like the way you salt your stew ... a little is good, but it doesn't follow that more is better.

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
A lot of rugby s subjective and the players - and the ref - have partial views.
So if the person whose view matters clearly calls, tackle, ruck or maul - nobody else will argue.
Offances need to be clear, obvious and material. If Green 5 is offside but nto actively interfereing, telling them to take a step lets both sides play. But if he is lying on the ball, asking them to roll away might be too late.

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
It depends immensely on the level and expectations of the players. Low level teams need much more coaching just to get a game going, more experienced players want to hear what you can see (and what they can get away with!)

If one team consistently requires more communication at an area than the other, then they need more encouragement to change their ways.