Props and 22 drop outs

Na Madrai

Referees in England
Post Likes
Refereeing on Saturday last twixt teams comprised of club members who had not gone on tour, therefore right mixture of skill and fitness levels. Was warned beforehand that two players of one team had not played rugby since school and not for many years. The match was played in a fantastic spirit, helped by the superb weather and referee playing outstanding amounts of advantage to try to keep match open. There were no penalties for foul play, no collapsed scrums - although I did catch a winger nipping off the pitch to grab a quick kiss with a girl on the touchline, I penalised him for being selfish and not sharing with his team mates, and, indeed the ref!

A 22 DO was awarded to blue. The outhalf started jogging towards his 22 carrying the ball when he was tackled by one of these inexperienced players. Although a very soft tackle, the outhalf fell to ground probably more surprised than anything else, releasing the ball forwards. He then layin his 22 virtually crying with laughter, along with most of the players.

His prop forward, standing on the 22, picked up the loose ball and dropped out straight down field and promptly setoff in pursuit. The ball bounces into touch about the opposition's 22.

Apart from quiet word to the tackler, what decision do the collective think I should have given especially if this had been a serious match?

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
In a serious game (assuming for a minute that "managing it" isn't an option) I would vote for a PK at the middle of the 22m line because the offence was committed while the ball was out of play - so the mark for the PK is where the game would have restarted.

If it was an U13 school game, I think I'd just blow for time off, do a bit of coaching and have him retake it. :wink:

Last edited:

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Claim the prop has taken a quick tap and trot upfield for the lineout.

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
Serious game: It's a flash point, no advantage is likely (or indeed advisable to play). So PK anywhere on the 22m.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
In the game as described I'd call it advanatge over and go with the flow - in a serious game then the PK would give them the throw and would be the better choice.