Psychology - Dr Mikel Melick

Chunky Charvis

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of some of Dr Mikel Melick's papers on the pyschology of refereeing?

I have read the excellent one on communication and decision making (a few years old it seems, which focusses on body language, whistle and verbal communication after a decision) and would like to read more from him. Not as easy to find his research papers as I thought...

I seem to remember some on here speaking about him a few weeks/months ago saying they had some of his stuff? Can anyone help?

Cheers,

CC

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I got him to come and speak at a Warwickshire training meeting.
I can pm you his email adress if you would like to ask him?
Maybe invite him to Bucks.

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Blue sure knows his stuff, one of lifes good guys. If you e-mail him I'm sure he would send you his complete works..

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Do a google search on Google scholar - for Mikel Mellick, comes up with a pdf which is probably the one you've seen, and others that siut behind a paywall - or university type access - or journal subscription.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
He has done a couple of great presentations at SW Group Meetings. As Womble says one of life's really nice and genuine guys.

Alongside Steve Savage he runs the RFU Panel/Group Referees after the RFU re-organisation.

A good book he recommended to me is 'Understanding Psychological Preparation for Sport: Theory and Practice of Elite Performers[Paperback] Hardy et al...

I have read a lot of his material - so we will see if you have, or need to, on the 24th at Basingstoke :biggrin:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Mikel and Steve did a fantastic presentation at a Warwickshire Society meeting on 'Referee Protection', which gave us all a lot to think about. As others have said, a thoroughly nice chap.

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
Are they related to the concepts of the "open mode" and "closed mode" of thinking that John Cleese outlines in this lecture about creativity, by any chance?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
It builds as a book as it goes along so if you find one section a bit dry just remember that it's setting the stage for the next introduction to a topic. The comparison of shifting type 1 to type 2 thinking is fascinating.

Had some credit on Amazon, so have downloaded this to my kindle. Certainly sounds interesting from the write up.

Chunky Charvis

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
Thanks chaps, some really interesting stuff there. Thank you!