Qrn 273

jynxy

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Question 49 - Type: Scenario Question
Question Reference Number: 273
Gold drops-out and Blue #12 receives the ball. Blue #12 is immediately held by Gold #5 and a maul forms. The ball does not emerge. What do you do?
Incorrect - You answered C.
The correct answer is: D.
17.6h : If a player catches the ball direct from an opponent's kick (ball did not touch another player or the ground before the player caught it), except from a kick-off or a drop-out, and the player is immediately held by an opponent, a maul may form. Then if the maul remains stationary, stops moving forward for longer than five seconds, or if the ball becomes unplayable, and a scrum is ordered, the team of the ball catcher throws in the ball.

1 out of 49 Correct: 2%
A. Nothing; play on.
B. Award a penalty kick to Blue.
C. Award a scrum, with Blue throwing-in.
D. Award a scrum, with Gold throwing-in.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
The answer seems correct to me.

The general rule is that if a catcher of a kicked ball is held immediately he catches, his teams gets the put-in if the subsequent maul ends unsuccessfully (this is itself an exception to the "use it or lose it" maul turnover rule). However, this exception also has exceptions - it does not apply direct from a kick-off, restart or drop-out. So the exception to the exception means we are back with the normal law - use it or lose it at the maul. Blue did not use it, so he loses it.

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
you only got one question right out of 49? what are essex teaching their refs these days?

:biggrin: :tongue: :buttkick:

jynxy

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
The answer seems correct to me.

The general rule is that if a catcher of a kicked ball is held immediately he catches, his teams gets the put-in if the subsequent maul ends unsuccessfully (this is itself an exception to the "use it or lose it" maul turnover rule). However, this exception also has exceptions - it does not apply direct from a kick-off, restart or drop-out. So the exception to the exception means we are back with the normal law - use it or lose it at the maul. Blue did not use it, so he loses it.

i thought this one was simple as the law is if you catch it you get the put in the exception being in open play. the opposite to what you said dixie. so blue catches blue gets the put in

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
It is simple, Gold drops out! so not open play simples.....

jynxy

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Ok so I've finished confusing myself now and read the law,

Maybe I'll get no.2 later

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Easiest way to remember what to call is
KO or DO = TO (Kick Off or Drop Out = Turn Over)
Helpful little note that I think either Phil E or Taff posted here ages ago.