Post Likes
Undue delay is used a few times in the Laws
It just give the ref a tool in his tool box

Christy

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
If the ball hits the railing , promotional board , or a flying bird , or another player the ball is in touch .
Most refs i have AR for , we usually cover quick throw ins .
If a quick throw is taken & if the ref decides to play on , we are advised to lower our flags .
And its the ref mistake .
Same as if i as the AR is happy with throw , we are advised to lower flag & the ref will continue accordingly .

Below is pasted from law book

• TOUCH OR TOUCH-IN-GOAL

• The ball is in touch or touch-in-goal when:
    • playicon.png
    • The ball or ball-carrier touches the touchline, touch-in-goal line or anything beyond.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
  • The ball is in touch or touch-in-goal when:
    • playicon.png
    • The ball or ball-carrier touches the touchline, touch-in-goal line or anything beyond.

THe debate is not about whether the ball is in touch or not. In fact that is clearly not the question!. If you are considering a QTI the ball mut be in touch otherwise it is just play on.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Although this might seem counterintuitive, as far as I am aware there is no time restriction on a QTI. As long as all other criteria are met and the lineout had not formed, a QTI remains on no matter how long has expired since the ball went into touch.

Agreed. "Quick" = "before a line-out is formed." That is "quicker than the teams can form one.

With the caveat that you can't "time waste".

Christy

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
THe debate is not about whether the ball is in touch or not. In fact that is clearly not the question!. If you are considering a QTI the ball mut be in touch otherwise it is just play on.

hi mark . i have re posted # 1 below .
i read the question { or at least a big part of the question }
being if the ball hits a fence , can a quick throw be taken .
the laws say no it can not ..
regardless of where it lands ..

There are heaps of places with fixed fences etc that surround and mark out the playing enclosure. If the ball leaves the playing enclosure, no QTI. But at what point does the playing enclosure end? At the bottom of the fence or the top?

I've had two (three actually but the third bloke told me to worry about the players not where the ball was...) contrasting answers to this, one saying if it wasn't touched by a person QTI is on, the other (the better coach IMO) felt that the fence is outside the playing enclosure.

As AR, I had a kick to touch bounce off the top of the fence and into the arms of the LO team who flicked it in (less than 5m) to a player who went on to score. Told the ref both issues, both of which they ignored.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Christy there is no Law that says that when a ball hits the fence no Qti can be taken

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
If a quick throw is taken & if the ref decides to play on , we are advised to lower our flags .
And its the ref mistake .

Christy, if you ever AR for me and you determine that the QTI is not on (wrong ball used, touched by a spectator, taken from wrong place, doesn't go 5, etc) please keep your flag up. I'll back your judgement 100%.