Queenstown

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
I'll be in NZ in Early-Mid January, eventually winding up in Queenstown.

Trying to sort out, assuming I'm in the country no more than a week, of what to do on the South Island (given the short time frame, a north/south split is unlikely and would mean most of my time would be spent in transit!).

Early doors, and I know there's a thing out there called Google, but if anyone has an inside track on things, let me know.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I'll be in NZ in Early-Mid January, eventually winding up in Queenstown.

Trying to sort out, assuming I'm in the country no more than a week, of what to do on the South Island (given the short time frame, a north/south split is unlikely and would mean most of my time would be spent in transit!).

Early doors, and I know there's a thing out there called Google, but if anyone has an inside track on things, let me know.

Maybe you could referee some rugby?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Of course the standard won't be up to much, but hey ho, you are on holiday.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
You are more likely to be umpiring cricket or softball at that time of year, and skiing/snowboarding is out of the question

What to do in Queenstown in the summer?

Shotover Jetboating.. http://www.shotoverjet.com/

Bungee jumping.. http://www.bungy.co.nz/

Canyon swing.. http://www.canyonswing.co.nz/

Done all three..... outstanding!!! The Canyon Swing was the best, a real rush in more ways than one!!

(warning: if you don't like crap music, turn the sound off for this video)

Last edited:

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
You are more likely to be umpiring cricket or softball at that time of year, and skiing/snowboarding is out of the question

Ian, FFS I was trolling PhilE and all of his "helpful" answers. I'm there for rugby. Just wanted to figure out what else was worth doing around the South Island in general (within Queenstown vicinity and surrounding provinces). beyond all the adventure stuff they do down there.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Ian, FFS I was trolling PhilE and all of his "helpful" answers. I'm there for rugby. Just wanted to figure out what else was worth doing around the South Island in general (within Queenstown vicinity and surrounding provinces). beyond all the adventure stuff they do down there.

OK, I get that.

However, even if you are not much into the adventure stuff, the canyon swing is great. If you can only do one, do that one.

If you are a keen Salmon/Trout fishermen, there are some awesome places to go in the Central Otago region. I can put you in touch with an expert fishing guide with over 25 years experience locally

Last edited:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
how about the Weta Cave?

http://www.wetanz.com/cave/

and don't forget the cable car in Wellington

If you get injured - don't worry. I'll have my boots with me.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
You could go down to Invercargill, should be warmer then (was bloody cold during the RWC) and see the museum about the fastest indian in the world (movie is very good too).

And maybe head down to the southern point, good restaurant and views there. (Called Land's End I believe).

All not too far from Queenstown.

The Dunedin Cadbury's factory is quite good too, as is the New Zealand Sporting museum that was in the train station (cheap entry too).

There is a lovely small town about an hour from Queenstown called Alexandra, and a small old style village about 20 mins away called Arrowtown.

Hope that helps.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Last edited:

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
how about the Weta Cave?

and don't forget the cable car in Wellington

If you get injured - don't worry. I'll have my boots with me.
No plans on being on the North Island on this trip (I'm back 3 weeks later for the bigger gig; this one is the warm-up gig)

You could go down to Invercargill, should be warmer then (was bloody cold during the RWC) and see the museum about the fastest indian in the world (movie is very good too).

And maybe head down to the southern point, good restaurant and views there. (Called Land's End I believe).

All not too far from Queenstown.

The Dunedin Cadbury's factory is quite good too, as is the New Zealand Sporting museum that was in the train station (cheap entry too).

There is a lovely small town about an hour from Queenstown called Alexandra, and a small old style village about 20 mins away called Arrowtown.

Hope that helps.
It does. Will ixnay the chocolate factory, but the local villages sound like a decent day trip.

If you are a keen Salmon/Trout fishermen, there are some awesome places to go in the Central Otago region. I can put you in touch with an expert fishing guide with over 25 years experience locally
This. All over this. I'm on Vancouver island for a week for more rugby in mid-October, and am trying to get the other "visiting" refs from South America to do some BC salmon fishing. A similar NZ experience would be much appreciated.

Check out wanaka -nice little town. And Fiordland.
What the heck, why not.
Really?
I thought I was trolling you!
Great stuff Phil. Always full of bright ideas. It's no wonder you're such an awesome edumacator and trainer!:biggrin:

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
If you're in Christchurch in the right season, you could do worse than going to see the nutter's nutter, the Wizard of New Zealand.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
This. All over this. I'm on Vancouver island for a week for more rugby in mid-October, and am trying to get the other "visiting" refs from South America to do some BC salmon fishing. A similar NZ experience would be much appreciated.

Dean Whaanga (pronounced Fah-unga) He's a professional fishing guide based in Ranfurly, Central Otago. He is a member if the New Zealand Professional Fishing Guides Association

Dean and his wife Lorraine are great hosts. If you are a keen fisherman, you can't help but enjoy a trip out with him.

dean@fishotago.co.nz

Boulder_Mark

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Lucky you! I spent two months in NZ in early 2004 having flown over from Sydney after the WC.

It is an amazing place.

I spent one month on each island. The South Island I much preferred and plenty more outdoor things to do.
If I was to return I would split my time 60-40% with the former for South Island.

Things to do in South Island:

Franz Joseph Glacier walk.
Abel Tasman Canoe trip from Nelson. Following the Abel Tasman coastline. Plenty of seals to see. Some actually swam up to our canoes. We did a camping trip with twin canoes. We were able to leave our canoes half way through then trek the coastal path back again. Was great and took about 4-5 days.
The Nevis bungee jump is also a goodun. From a cable car suspending over a valley!! It was the biggest bungee jump in NZ back then. Not sure if it still is.

The Remarkables are worth a walk up as well and reachable from QUeenstown ski area.

Milford Sound boat trip is also fantastic. Unfortunately we went during awful weather that day so didn't see much. So plan it for the weather.

Wanaka is a pleasant/scenic town up beside the lakes in the mountains.

And if you travel between Queens and Christchurch - Visit the lakes on the route 8. The lakes are an amazing colour, and you can see Mount Cook in the distance.

And north of Christchurch - Kaikoura is well worth a trip for the Whale watching trips. Almost guaranteed to see them.

North Island - Visit Rotarua for the volcanic activity sites. Amazing although slightly pongy.
And the cultural evenings there are amazing. Visit Maori camps and demonstrations etc. A Must do.

Lake Taupo also stunning scenary and you can visit or at least see Mount Doom (lord of the rings) in the background. I climbed it one day. All fun adn well worth the views from the top.

Tandem parachute jump over Lake Taupo was simply breathtaking. Not just from the initial free fall adrenaline but also the views during the calm stage once the parachute had deployed!! ;0)

There thats enough to keep you busy!! LOL