Query 1. Where Is The Offside Line?

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I'm thinking that "the pocket" only really exists when the LH flanker binds back with his shoulder on the second row. When doing this the flanker also often bound at an angle to block out the defending SH and this left a big gap between him and the #8 ie. "the pocket". A lost art, I'm afraid.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I'm thinking that "the pocket" only really exists when the LH flanker binds back with his shoulder on the second row. When doing this the flanker also often bound at an angle to block out the defending SH and this left a big gap between him and the #8 ie. "the pocket". A lost art, I'm afraid.
The problem they are trying to solve is that a scrum half could get into the pocket legally (as far as offside is concerned), but the ball could move forward and put him offside with no immediate way out. Therefore they want to stop him getting into that position.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
The problem they are trying to solve is that a scrum half could get into the pocket legally (as far as offside is concerned), but the ball could move forward and put him offside with no immediate way out. Therefore they want to stop him getting into that position.
The reason I was given (no idea by who now) was because the law makers wanted to clean up messy scrums by giving the winning SH fractionally more time to get the ball away.

Last edited:

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
The reason I was given (no idea by who now) was because the law makers wanted to clean up messy scrums by giving the winning SH fractionally more time to get the ball away.

Yes, the read I was given was that competition at the back of the scrum was no longer desired.

And that, ladies and gents, is how Mike Phillips got as many caps as he did. The man can't pass off the ground - he always takes one or two steps. Back when scrum halves were scrum halves, he'd have been mincemeat.