Query on cross field kick

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Nobody prepared to hazard an opinion on the three contentious scenarios I proffered?

There is disagreement between various national unions. Some say it is the body that counts, other say the feet. It is a split second things anyway, so it is hard to be very precise. Personally I simply judge the torso - but then I am not making the decision. I might discuss the question with a referee but as long as his answer is sensible I am satisfied. It is too rare to make a fuss about.

spikeno10

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Thanks for all the information everyone. We are having the same sorts of discussions relating to this.
It would appear that this, whilst very rare, is not clear in law and is one of those judgement calls.

My son did his 4th game on Sunday as we'd turned up to train only to find the ref for the U15 game had called off sick. Reports are he had a good game, it was nice that the two teams both gave him some positive feedback after the game.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
(iii) player in playing area jumps backwards into touch with only foot/feet not thro' plane (body percentage relevant?), knocks ball back onto playing area in which his foot/feet lands first (body percentage enough?), the rest of his body falls into touch.

. . . jumps backwards into touch . . , TF:hap:

Nobody prepared to hazard an opinion on the three contentious scenarios I proffered?

How many out there, like me, haven't a clue? Is it any wonder why we can't get any sense out of the law lords? I don't expect they would have a clue as to the answer either . . . and they're in a position to actually give an answer rather than humble opinions.:sad:

What about another contentious scenario where a player:-

Takes a jump to the left
And then a step to right
Puts his hands on his hips
And brings his knees in tight
THEN does pelvic thrust (which really drives him insane)
.............................................................................in touch or not?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
What about another contentious scenario where a player:-

Takes a jump to the left
And then a step to right
Puts his hands on his hips
And brings his knees in tight
THEN does pelvic thrust (which really drives him insane)
.............................................................................in touch or not?

Poor coaching technique in my opinion........unless the whole team do it in unison of course :clap:

mike

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
hi

the main point being the player who knocks the ball in goal as to where he lands .

if he plays the ball beyond touch in goal he must land both feet back in the field of play

regards

mike wru ref

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
is that on any official documentation? there seem to be many differing viewpoints on this topic.

ps - welcome!

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
is that on any official documentation? there seem to be many differing viewpoints on this topic.

ps - welcome!

I think it would be reasonable to apply touch laws to TiG as well.

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
agreed, but is it actually law? IIRC, we've discussed many times the various interpretations.

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
...Nobody prepared to hazard an opinion on the three contentious scenarios I proffered?

How many out there, like me, haven't a clue? ...
Hello Chopper,
Watch at the 2 minute mark in this RD video clip a moment of pure magic from the Clermont scrum-half. (No he doesn't jump backwards into touch) Not in even you Chopper could imagine such a scenario, yet this is the real game which has to be ref'd on the spur of the moment. The whole thing took less than 5 seconds, the player was at times 100% in touch, yes both feet in touch ; at the end of the 5 seconds the referee had to decide to award or not, the subsequent try. No time for mental contorsions with percentages, simply trust in his AR and call what he sees himself. (Probaly have be lynched by the home crowd, if he'd needed the TMO's help.)

I suspect if any of the 3 situations you outlined, crops up in a match, the ref on the day will call it as he sees it. Should anyone not be happy with his decision, let them sign up on a referee training course & show us how it's done.

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
Hello Chopper,
Watch at the 2 minute mark in this RD video clip a moment of pure magic from the Clermont scrum-half. (No he doesn't jump backwards into touch) Not in even you Chopper could imagine such a scenario, yet this is the real game which has to be ref'd on the spur of the moment. The whole thing took less than 5 seconds, the player was at times 100% in touch, yes both feet in touch ; at the end of the 5 seconds the referee had to decide to award or not, the subsequent try. No time for mental contorsions with percentages, simply trust in his AR and call what he sees himself. (Probaly have be lynched by the home crowd, if he'd needed the TMO's help.)

I don't understand what the controversy is in the clip?